Topic

The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) – Episode 1: Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) – Episode 1: Gear

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I chuckled a bit when I saw a hatchet attached to a tiny cuben pack. I thought I was the only person in the world who would do something like that.

Sebastian Boenner

@racoon-on-tour

Locale: beautiful Rhineland (Germany)

At first glance I was worried that the hatchet may come loose when Ryan throws the pack in the air. Had to watch it a second time to check if it has still been on the outside then… Gladly not.

Somehow this setup seems to have more in common with a modern version of bushcraft than with the "old" SUL setups. Best of both worlds?

As I'm using a similar setup from time to time I was wondering about the combination of a quilt and the Klymit. Maybe it's only me or temperatures over here are slightly lower, but the holes give me a good chill when using the pad on its own. That's why I add a really thin EVA pad to cover them up. Or are you using natural resources to compensate the lack of insulation?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Good video clip. SUL is the way to travel! All except the hatchet…

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I love the simplicity of that set up. None of that gear is even all that fragile. No cuben ponchos that have to be taken care of, no spinaker packs that have to be babied, etc.

I'm curious how the bivy works with a down sleeping bag. I would have been concerned about condensation. Or is it not such a big deal since you're only out for a weekend? I'm guessing you don't us the bivy if there is a lot of rain in the forecast?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Hatchet? Funny that you can include that and be so lightweight

After watching I reviewed my gear list – what can I not take?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

How about SUL trail running? How well do you think running with a pack like that would work? I would also guess that you would not want to bother with cooking over a fire after a day of running.

How about SUL thru-hiking (or just hiking for more then 5 days at a time). For that I think you'd want something other then a bivy for a shelter and your pack would need to be a bit bigger and more substantial.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Excellent stuff.. Less is truly more. The hatchet is a multi tool for sure and go with it!

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I really like this series, it helps me focus on what's really needed and what's a luxury. There are two ideas I'd like to address though. First, I backpack in CA where I have to carry a 2lb bear canister almost all the time. This is never brought up in SUL discussions and honestly it feels like most of the guys who are going SUL are able to because they don't have concern themselves with a canisters weight or volume. Secondly, I'm a bigger guy and I have to buy XL clothing and a larger sleeping bag, bivy sack, etc. Is it possible to go SUL when most of your clothes, your bag, shelter, etc is a bit bigger and, therefore, heavier then for a guy who's shaped like an ultrarunner?

Any ideas?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

What BPL should be!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ryan, your videos always get me psyched about getting outside, which is high praise. I'm looking forward to future installments. I think I'll take your challenge and try a SUL trip with essentially the same gear as you next chance I get. I think the least base weight I've ever had was around 8 lbs, so it should be educational.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Erik,

Good point about the requirement in some places to have to carry the "evil"/heavy bear canister and for the added weight of bigger/taller people.

That said, maybe the important take away from any SUL discussion is to see if there are any ideas/practices that you can take for yourself to simply lighten the load that you currently have.

Watching the video has made me question some of the gear that I have been contented to carry now and I am sure will help me shed a few more ounces or one pound.

Won't get me anywhere near SUL as I have a 10.5 lbs base weight, but I can see some wisdom to be gained from the SUL people.

Also, I think that people who are warm sleepers have a natural advantage in going SUL vs. those of us who are cold sleepers.

I loved seeing the simplicity of Ryan's setup.

Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks???

-Tony

edited for spelling

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

I love these kind of videos and after my "conversion" to MYOG I've been able to substitute most of my old equipment for lighter (sometimes much lighter) items and I'm sure that -one day- I'll reach the SUL limit. Not easy though in my favorite playground: high altitude mountains above treeline.

Just one question: I understand the idea behind taking a hatchet when cooking over a fire but…… wouldn't a folding saw like the Bahco Laplander serve the same duty at less than half the weight??? (they're only about 6oz. against 13oz. for the hatchet).

Edited for spelling and adding weights.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

He knows how to go very light. But Ryan likes his hatchet.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Another benefit of a folding saw or mini hatchet in an SUL kit is you can use it as an emergency tool in bad weather. A heavy duty cutting tool lets you build a solid natural shelter quickly that can stand any kind of weather. I consider this important if you hiking in areas that can experience random extreme weather and you are using only a light tarp.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Oh, I'm sure Ryan knows how to go light – very well. I used to take a folding saw (different brand than the one I mentioned though), but I’ve never been tempted to go as far as a 13oz. hatchet, so I was just wondering whether I was overlooking something that makes the hatchet that much more worthwhile.

In the near future I’ll be leaving behind the folding saw as well, because I'm in the middle of making myself a bow saw (just bought a blade and after cutting this to the desired length, the weight is only 34,8gr – just over 1.1oz). The blade will be attached to my trekking-poles which I'll take anyhow so the only further increase on weight will be the "attachers" (don't know how to call these). If there is interest I might post some pics when I finish same.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

These cutting tools are anti Leave No Trace and hatchets are just plain dangerous in the hands of inexperienced users. Although I fear the potential damage by those who don't understand LNT, I do agree that a light folding saw is a very good survival tool. The Gerber 22-41773 sliding-style saw is one of the most effective tools for it's weight. It is a heavier (of course) update of the Sportsman's saw and it gained 1.2oz to bring it up to 4.8oz. BTW, it is the same as the Bear Grylls model in plain black and minus some rubber on the grip, at half the price.

But how do you justify such tools where a Swiss Army Knife is considered "heavy" and single edge razor blades are touted?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

The weight of the hatchet is (partly) offset by the fact that he's not carrying a stove or fuel.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Yes, emergency only of course.

If you consider that some cutting tools allow you to build a fire in any weather (wet/frozen) and that having a fire in the evenings allows you to leave behind warm camp gear and you don't have to carry a stove + fuel, I think the weight is well justified.
    You just need to consider if the cutting tools you bring are really necessary to build a good fire easily and efficiently. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't.

The only thing I would add to the gear list is some long underwear and maybe some wind pants.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I think, like never carrying bear cans, going with a hatchet instead of stove and fuel is location dependent SUL technique.

I don't know that some of my favorite areas could support mass adoption of a cook fire. Other areas could be just fine.

How are new people to get the experience to know which trips are hatchet safe and which are irresponsible? Even within some large wilderness areas the appropriateness varies with microclimate.

–G.B.–

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, Ryan's comment was: "The following gear list is a little different from the one shown in the video. The video features a gear kit that includes some minor "nonessentials" that I don't necessarily bring on every trip."

He was not including the hatchet in the gear list.

But it is a good example of a single luxury item that you *can* take and still be UL. I am sure it broke the SUL weight budget.

This is true of most SUL packers. I add my fishing rod usually. About 8oz of rod, line, a few premade tippets in a couple different weights, some flies & nymphs and a spare leader is all I need. This will break the budget for most SUL trips I take. But, this is strictly recreational type gear. Like food, it will vary with the trip. Sometimes I take a camera. Sometimes I take my wife, hey ha ha.

Anyway, you can certainly go hiking with the gear he recommended in his list. But this is minimal gear. Personnaly, I get a bit bored with only hiking to occupy my time after the first week. Even if it is a reading book for taking a zero day at one of the campsites I am at.

H D

@decolores

Locale: NE

I am inspired by the mention of the word "discipline" at around 5:29.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Maps and compass were left out. I think the list could handle some primary navigation items :)

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

In my opinion a folding saw is much more useful for making a campfire where you are cutting larger diameter wood. If you watch the video however Ryan is not really making a campfire, it's more of a tiny cook fire with much smaller wood pieces. The hatchet is much better than a saw for that, especially for splitting wood into small pieces and making kindling.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools