Topic

Nor Cal / Bay Area trip this weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Nor Cal / Bay Area trip this weekend

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Vogel
    Spectator

@johnv2002

Locale: East Bay

I am looking to an impromptu trip with a couple of guys this weekend. I don't know the area very well yet as we just moved here. Any suggestions on an overnight trip I can take below any snow that doesn't have a permit or reservation system? We would prefer something a bit higher in elevation to avoid ticks like what we found at Henry Coe

Thanks for the help

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Butano State Park has back country camping sites. Went two years ago and had no problems getting a site. Nice hike in the redwoods. If you want more walking miles, you can drop your gear at the campsite and head over to Big Basin.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=536

Let us know where you end up going.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Butano normally has a good crop of poison oak along its trails.

–B.G.–

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Butano is nice, we've taken our kids there, but I wouldn't call it backcountry. Point Reyes can be fun, though its probably full for this weekend.

There's also some bp'ing opportunities at Armstrong State Park (north, near Guerneville. won't be nearly as crowded as Big Basin trails).

Of course, if you have time to drive, 3 hours away is Emigrant Wilderness. Its a good place for early season Sierra adventures. No ticks, and at least last weekend when we were there, no mosquitoes above 8000 feet.

John Vogel
    Spectator

@johnv2002

We just did the McDonald park hike into the redwood areas and yes, it's not quite backcountry, and yes I picked up poison oak from along the trails. I am thinking about trying the Grouse Ridge area of Tahoe National Forest. I am hoping the temps won't be to low and without any snow pack

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I was going to mention that area, but was not sure snow has cleared all the way out. Bucks Lake Wilderness had little snow two weekends ago. Plus, looks a little like a typical Memorial Day weekend, cool.
    Duane

John Vogel
    Spectator

@johnv2002

Where is Bucks lake area?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Close to Hwy 70, the PCT runs thru it. Quincy, above Oroville/Chico on the Plumas NF. Over an hour south of Lassen VNP. I live a few miles away from it.
    Duane

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools