Topic

Quick comment on new Big Agnes Q Core SL Performance/Cold Weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quick comment on new Big Agnes Q Core SL Performance/Cold Weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

We're having a very late spring in Alaska – I had a camping trip this past weekend that had been planned for a couple of months expecting spring temps but it snowed 6" Friday. We went anyway, and I got to use my new BA Q-Core SL for the first time. Temps dipped into the low 20's overnight.

First the good: I have the long/wide (25") version of this pad. It's extremely comfortable. The 3.5" thickness gave me enough room that I could even sleep on my side without my hipbones punching through to the ground, which is a first for me with an air mattress. I didn't experience my typical back spasms and cramps on this pad like I did with my old ones. It's a keeper, and worth the weight penalty for my purposes.

The bad: It does transmit the cold from the ground pretty significantly. I topped it with a Z-Rest since I expected this to occur, but would definitely not have wanted to sleep on it without a CCF topper to up the R value.

Andrew Martin
    BPL Member

@am1982

Locale: PacNW

Judging by all the comments on these foums, I think the rule with all these insulated inflatable air mattress pads (I've owned a Synmat 7 and UL 7) require thin CCF pads in order to cut the heat transfer between the air inside the pad and ground when the ground is cold.

Still, the joy of being able to side sleep in the backcountry and wake up refreshed is amazing – worth the extra foam.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I found too that I got cold in my Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (of 2007 vintage) when the temps dipped down to around freezing. But what about the XTherm? The R value is rated at 5.7! Suitable at least for spring/fall use, methinks.

For me, it's between the XTherm and the Exped SynMatUL. The QCore (UL version) seemed a bit narrow–I guess that's why you have the wide?

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Yes, I chose the wide/long version and it is true to spec.

If I were going to winter camp on a regular basis, this wouldn't be my pad of choice, but this was atypical. It at least let me know I can stretch it if I have to.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools