Topic

Mesh/Net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mesh/Net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

Is there something besides noseeum, that will allow more breeze to blow thru the tent but still block mosquitos? not worried about noseeums

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Tulle works, but is delicate. There is a tougher form of this material, still lighter than noseeum, but I don't know what it's called.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Mosquito or fly netting is about 200 holes per square inch, Noseeum is about 600. I agree that for my use I would rather have the bigger holes, but all my tents have the windproof stuff.

Edit:
    As of 2010 Dan Cooke of Cooke Custom Sewing had 70" wide black mosquito net yardage available. http://www.cookecustomsewing.com

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Find a large fabric store and ask for synthetic mosquito netting. There's usually a wide range available.

I have used tulle for my tents. Yes, it is weaker, but it was only 9 gsm. How rough are you going to be?

Note: light netting can be a begger to sew. But it can be done.

Cheers

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

you can indeed , as Roger says, make panels out of tulle. they are not really structurally fantastic, but if not in a stressed deployment, the lifespan can be considerable.
    i some time ago fabricated a window for my Akto. this window modification totally changes the character of my dwelling.
    it is better in all ways except there is a small bit of added mass.
    the sequence of operations required to make this work out are .. considerable.
    but ! it can be done.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

we try again …akto

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Yes, I have seen it called mosquito net and available at some outdoor supplies. It is heavier.

Also, I find the the little zippers(#1 size I think?) that often get used on noseeum nets are too fragile and don't last more then 50 to 100 days in the field.
    They always seem to fail during heavy bug season:-(
    I have replaced/repaired many.

I have had no problem with the next size up(#2?).
    Of course the bigger zippers are a little heavier.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools