Topic

head net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) head net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

I am looking to either buy or make a head net. The one that seems to surface a lot in searches is this:

http://www.rei.com/product/780999/sea-to-summit-head-net

Sounds like this is not a no-see-ums netting?

I have some no-see-um netting, if I were to make my own, what are the dimensions? No wide brimmed hats, just needs to fit over a ball cap.

(Cedar gnats in Utah are a murder when out and swarming, nothing else comes close to how bad these things are. DEET does not work. Bites turn into one inch bumps and last for weeks)

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Around $15 shipped. Lightest best option out there. Great service. USA / California product. What's not to love?

http://www.petersheadnets.com/

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Peters is not no seeum either and his website is full of words that have no mention of what the material is. I find his website a little deceptive in saying that no other headnet can be seen through.

I have been using my no seeum OR spring ring headnet (removed the ring) for years and like it fine. Of course it is warmer to wear if wearing it in 70+ heat.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Avoid Noseeum. It gets a little difficult to breath in and out of with high exertion.

I have the Sea-to-Summit net, and I think it weighs something like 0.8 oz. I'm really happy with it, especially since it was only $7.50.

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

…I've found that the produce sacks sold by 3BBags (and usually seen for sale in grocery stores (a pack of 3 for $7) are essentially "no-see-um"– at least, they've kept blackflies from my neck during time in Michigan's UP.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I know this is not netting, but relates to no-see-ums…

Avon product: Skin so soft repells no-see-ums… the only thin I know of that works… and, yes, I have tried it in Utah…

google it…

bill

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

This is good cheep product that does "work"!…..slight visibility problem that can be over come.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81276

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Yes, I have heard about that one :) Specifically cedar gnats. Thanks!

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Since you already have the netting, and since this is possibly the simplest DIY imaginable, why not try making your own?

Even a fold-over and sew 2 sides "sack" will probably work. I you want to get a little more sophisticated and customized cut a circular top and sew a rectangular piece to that. Or check out the innumerable instructions on the web. Tuck into shirt top, or add cinch cord. All very easy.

Utah is one of my favorite places to go backpacking. Not sure if I ever ran into the gnats you mention. Have you tried permethrin on your clothes? That might help keep the bugs away from the rest of you.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

FWIW…. permethrin is a carcinogenic… google it… I would not put it on my skin or want it in my cloths that tough my skin

bill

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

you would know if you had run into them… there would be NO doubt in your mind about it!!!

They get into your eyes, ears, and nostrils… they seek out the moist spots… net effect is you want to jump off a cliff to get away from them…!!!

bill

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I will second Peters.

He designed the ones BPL used to sell too I believe

O.3 oz.

Black is less annoying to look thru and have in front of your face than any other color.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"FWIW…. permethrin is a carcinogenic… google it… I would not put it on my skin or want it in my cloths that tough my skin"

Yes I know quite a bit about it. Even without using google – imagine that.

FWIW… you *never* put it on your skin, You *always* put it on the outside of your clothes. You *always* let it dry many hours before you put the clothes on. And personally I only use it when the alternative is worse, in my estimation. There are a few time a year and a few places where it is warranted.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If you put permethrin on outside of clothes or boots and let it dry then you should have minimal contact with your skin, should be safe.

If you put permethrin on net and even let it dry good, then put over your face or over other skin it seems like that wouldn't be a good idea.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Even putting permetrin on the outside of cloths and letting it dry before you use it scares me… With new clothing it is advertised to 'repell' bugs. that means it must be airborne. Which means you may be breathing it. Also, even when applied to clothing and allowed to dry, surely your sweat will transport some of it to your skin.

Hey, each to his own, but I am a real chem phobe… I don't trust my health to the chemical industry… or those that are supposed to regulate them…

bill

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just use permethrin on boots and gaiters. Sort of agree with chem phobe thought. I'm thinking ticks.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

You are lucky if you have not run into cedar gnats. They become active in early June usually. They are not strong fliers, so any wind eliminates them. They are not active in the dark. They won't be near water (that's where the horse flies are).

But if you happen to be higher on the benches (like Escalante, or Island in the Sky, or Arches — Elephant Butte) and the midges are swarming, it can be intolerable.

Here's some more info:

http://watchingtheworldwakeup.blogspot.com/2009/05/road-trip-part-3-all-about-cedar-gnats.html

If these things are out, I will seriously consider canceling any trip.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Make a headnet. You can hand sew one easily enough (may be ugly as sin though without practice haha), if working with a sewing machine is too daunting. Spray with permithren if you want or need extra protection from bugs.

As for the dangers of permithren:

If you live in a city, you're exposed to thousands of carcinogens and other toxins on a 24/7 basis at dosage levels many would consider "unsafe."

Hell being overweight is a worse risk factor for cancer and disease than permithren exposure.

If you're in the woods your carcinogenic exposure is reduced dramatically (you still brought food from the city…usually). A little permithren exposure over the short term is minor compared to one's (sub)urban day to day lifestyle and environment.

In exchange for that low exposure risk you increase comfort (which is a personal preference) and significantly decrease your disease exposure (west nile, lyme disease are concerns in the US…obviously worse diseases if you travel to the tropics).

It's fun to improperly weight risk factors and become hysterical over minor but scary concerns. All while ignoring the constant and persistent threats that we face daily. Unfortunately it's just not very helpful or constructive for improving the public health.

If you live in rural area upstream and upwind from any commercial agriculture, mining, manufacturing, energy production, or transportation center, have a low waist to height ratio, and eat only free-range and organic food with a constant rotation of diet to avoid estrogen precursors…then my previous statements don't apply to you.

Everyone else, nothing wrong with educating others as long as you don't get pedantic about your "opinion".

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

There is no need to use permethrin on a head net I think. I'm not sure it would even work there. And no need.

Use it on your main clothes – shirt and pants. It is nice for big swarms – if you've ever seen your non-permetrhin-wearing buddy in front of you in spring in the sierra with his hiking shirt and pants *totally covered* (basically with their legs overlapping) with mosquitoes, even when moving, you'll know what you have to do! Permethrin is not very permeable to the skin, even if contact is made. You can save deet or some other stuff for any exposed skin, but you may not even need it. But in case like that described above permethrin is a lifesaver for creating a small zone of non-hell around you.

Personally, I truly fear them most at night – the sound of one of the little buggers flying into my ear just as I'm nodding off is enough to make me sit bolt upright and scream "I'll talk, I'll talk." When it is that time of year I usually religiously go through and execute any in my inner sanctum before even trying to go to sleep. There is a circle in Hell where a mosquito flies in your ear every time you try to sleep. If I remember my Dante right, I think it is the one between the river of shit and the lake of burning pitch.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools