Topic

Montrail shoes sizing help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montrail shoes sizing help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Richards

@mikeman

Locale: USA

Hi everyone. My Salomon trail runners have finally fallen apart so its time to toss them out. After reading many older posts I decided to give Montrails a try, but unfortunately I live quite far from a Montrail retailer so I need to mail order the shoes.

How does the sizing run on Montrails? What size Montrails would fit me best? My Salomons are size 9.5. Does anyone out there have experience with the sizing of both Salomons and Montrails? Thanks for your help!

Mike

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

My Solomon Tech Amphibians size 12 seem to fit about the same as my Montail size 12s. If you need a wide toe box, look for the Montrail IntegraFit last (such as the Hardrocks). Non-IntegraFit models, such as the Vitesse, are a bit narrower in the toes with the same length. It probably won't make much difference to most people but it does to me.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I wear a size 11 and the Montrail shoes I have are true-to-size. They fit very well. I have a pair of Solomon "water" shoes (sort of like trail runners but really made for the water) that I wear on river trips in my kayak. They are also size 11 and fit very well.

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Montrails tend to be reasonably true to size, but their hallmark is a narrower heel and instep with a noticeable arch and typically with a noticeably wider toe box.

I can't wear standard Montrail because my instep is quite wide and I have bruised my instep/arch severely on them. However, I have been very happy with the wide version of the Hardrock. As mentioned earlier, if you are a 9.5 with he Salomon XA series, go with the 9.5 in Montrails.

The XA series tends to best fit those with medium or narrower heels also, so you will likely get a solid fit in Montrails. The Hardrock is a good functioning shoe compared to the ventilated XA Comp (though just a bit heavier), while the Hurricane Ridge is a good option if you want Goretex.

William McAlpine
    BPL Member

@virtu

Where same size (10) with both brands.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

I haven't had much luck with montrail sizing. My foot(mens 11) is rather wide upfront in the toe box area and one of my feet is about a 1/4-1/2 size larger than the other.

I own a pair of TRS Comp Shoes by montrail which have a large toebox and fit me very well. Other boots and trail running shoes by montrail have not fit me well at all.

I owned a pair of saloman light hikers which were too narrow for me. Others I have tried were also narrow. Maybe that means Montrails would work well for you if your foot is narrow???

My current favorite for correct sizing for my wide foot is Vasque. Their trail runners and cross shoes fit me very well

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Can't speak for all models, but I need a 13 in the Montrail Hurricane Ridge shoes. I wear a 12 in almost everything else I own – Vasques, TNF, Timberland, etc. Might be isolated to that model.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I've had exerience with both brands. I owned a pair of Montrial Java GTX shoes and they were too narrow and small for my feet. Most comments I have read state that Montrail runs a bit small. I'd size up at least 1/2 size and order from a place with a good return policy, like Zappos.

My Salomon XA Pro 3D's run true to size for me and have a wider footbox that accomodates me better than the one pair of Montrails I tried. My wife, with average volume feet, tried on a pair of Montrail Hardrocks and didn't like the fit, so she went with Vasques, but she may have bought them because of how they looked…not that they haven't fit her fine : ) The Hardrocks also felt a slightly confining on me in the store, but I never tried them on the trail.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Mike Richards

@mikeman

Locale: USA

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I just placed an order and I'm really looking forward to trying out my new shoes!

Mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools