Topic

MAPS and getting smaller customized ones

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MAPS and getting smaller customized ones

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

I need a map of big pine lakes and kearsarge pass so at rei they have the Harrison maps(seki map) but i only need an 8×8 section of it at most and this map is 24×36.Every time you pull this map out you have to unfold it several times and that gets old not too mention the wear and tear.
    The other issue is that my 2 areas of interest are both on the edges at opposite ends of this map.A lot of stuff north and south of the areas of interest are cut off.Is there an online service where you can choose your destination and then print it out?

Thanx

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I made you a map of Big Pine Lakes. I use Nat Geo Topo but I'm sure there are free options out there.
    Click on the download link in the upper right corner.
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ud4zr5g27ucld6a

I don't know where Kearsarge Pass is. I searched for it in the program but couldn't find it. Could you give the name of a peak or lake that is near Kearsarge Pass?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Type it in hillmap.com or caltopo.com to find Kearsarge Pass. You could make your own map at caltopo.com or buy one from mytopo.com.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I don't know where Kearsarge Pass is."

Onion Valley is the name of the campground at the end of the road west of Independence. The trail from there goes west to Kearsarge Pass, where it enters the national park.

–B.G.–

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

THANKS JOSH and John.The Hillmap/my topo/cal topo is super-duper.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Another option is to take the map to an office supply store like Staples. Have them scan it in 11×17 pieces to your thumb drive in JPG format at high resolution. Archive those files on your computer, then on your computer take a copy of a file and manipulate it with your graphics program of choice. Print out a section as needed for your trip.

I've done this with some of the big NatGeo maps. I use other resources (TOPO and CalTopo.com) for most mapping but sometimes I need data that's only (easily) available on the NatGeo map.

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

Am I going to seem really old if I suggest just photocopying the bit you want and sticking it in a ziploc bag?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I just take some scissors and cut them up, then fold it up and put it in my pocket…
    simple, low tech is sometimes the best…

I have all the Harrison maps of the sierra and have cut them down into more manageable sections. If you really study them chances are you will find like I did that they cut up into quite logical smaller sections that will cover most trips that you are likely to do

bill

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Go the USGS Website and download the maps you need. These are the official US Government topographical maps and they are free. Use software to crop what you need.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools