Topic

Summer and Shoulder Season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Summer and Shoulder Season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Slugsworth .

@slugsworth

I've been steadily lowering my pack weight, I'm looking for feedback on the best improvements I can make for the lowest dollar value. If you see any missing gear please let me know. I do need to carry a 2 person tent for my partner's benefit.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=13371

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Are you sure you need rain pants? Those add a lot of weight.
    I've found that I can tolerate wet legs unless it's really cold.
    Some wind pants are much lighter and they will slow the water penetration and cut the wind. In an emergency you can wear your long underwear which will keep you warm even when wet with a wind shell over them.
    You could also get a lighter rain jacket like a dri-ducks if you are only expecting light rain.

It looks like a really solid gear list. You could save weight on a better/lighter sleeping bag if you want to spend the money.

Where do you plan on hiking?

Slugsworth .

@slugsworth

Thanks Justin, I wouldn't include the rain pants if I knew the weather was going to be good, but I've been doing some hiking in the Olympic National Park and the Cascades where I guess it seems that it rains on me every trip. I've been trying to limit myself to a (arbitrary) rule to not upgrade something that isn't broken unless it will save me at least 1# per $100. So, if I can get some new gear for $50 and it saves a half pound, I do it. . .

I haven't considered wind pants, I'll do some googling and see what I can find.

Slugsworth .

@slugsworth

I am considering selling my 2 cheaper down bags and upgrading to a WM or feather friends bag. The one that seems like it might work is the WM Highlight, but I think I need to do some more research since I would probably sell my winter bag to justify the purchase.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools