Topic

Backpacking and anterior pelvic tilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpacking and anterior pelvic tilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    David Carson
    BPL Member

@dcarson87354

Locale: PNW

So, I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable pack. I think it has to do with my anterior pelvic tilt, which means that my pelvis tilts slightly forward. This cause the pack to not quite sit level where it is normally suppose to sit. I was wondering if anyone else around here has this condition and has any pack recommendations.

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

David,

What kind of weights do you normally carry, and what kind of packs have you tried thus far?

Also, what kind of shoes do you wear? Ever tried a shoe with a lower heel drop?

Without more info I'm guessing that two routes may possibly work…..with moderate to light loads an aluminum framed internal with custom bent stays could work. I would also look into a pack with a frame that doesn't contact your lumbar and has an articulating hip belt.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Maybe try packs with hip belts that have two buckles, so the belt can be snugged at the top and bottom ?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You can see what Gross Bob is saying here and here on these packs.I own both and the hipbelts are great,I don't have the condition you are talking about but you might have her try a pack with this kind of hipbelt.

David Carson
    BPL Member

@dcarson87354

So far, I have experimented with the Osprey Aether 60 with around 40lbs (overnight). The Exos with around 20-30 lbs(several weekend trips, and several different Gregory packs but that was only in the store. After actually typing that, It doesn't really look like I've tried all that many…probably because I've tried al 3 sizes in all those packs. I generally hike in a pair of Montrail mid height boots. My main problem I deal with is that my upper buttcheek muscles(not sure the proper term for those!) feel fatigued about 10 minutes into the hike and no matter how much I adjust the pack it doesn't quite go away.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Where does your hip belt sit relative to the top of the pelvis at your sides (the illiac crest)?

Above it, at your waist?
    Below it?
    Or with some above and some below?

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

David,

Where do you normally wear your hipbelt? Are you wearing it high enough to not interfere with your lower body movement?

More importantly, just exactly where are you getting discomfort? Just in those muscles?

I hiked and ran 10 miles a couple weeks ago and the muscles on the top fronts of my hips (psoas) hurt. That exposed a training need for me so since then I've been trying to stretch them well. Maybe your situation is similar, and you are just finding a weak area that needs to be stretched and strengthened?

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

I may not be picturing this right, but it sounds to me as if a pack with a little bit more of a lumbar pad might help you. You'll get a rather different lower back contour than the Osprey Airspeed provides. (Packs with duel waist belt adjustment straps are clearly something else you'll want to try.)

Cheers,

Bill S.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Not sure where your diagnosis came from, but most of us have an anterior pelvic tilt. And most middle aged men have a pretty substantial one at that. Honestly, unless you have a massive structural deformation of your pelvis I'm not at all sure how that would affect how a pack fits you or would cause you discomfort.

The area you are describing *could* be the gluteus medius muscles, which most certainly are way under used for most of us and frankly, seem to be at the root of many, many back and lower extremity ills. Of course, it could also be a referred pain from the last lumbar segment where it meets your pelvis…also a common place for people to have issues.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Hike more often :)

Or have Mr. McHale make you a custom fitted pack.

McHale Bump

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

I would make sure you are doing significant core strengthening exercises and resistance work doing Olympic lifts (Dead Lift and Squats) That will ensure that you can carry weight without having to alter your posture too much.

Instead of trying to find a pack comfortable carrying 40 lbs, I would work on cutting my weight at least in half if possible.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

As Jennifer said, most of the population sits in anterior pelvic tilt to some degree. Considering this, that's probably not the issue.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

If your pack doesn't fit properly it can push up against your lower pack. You might take pictures of you wearing a (loaded) pack from the side. If we saw how your pack fits someone here might spot the problem.

Our course a light load makes helps too! Try your pack with about 25 pounds in it and see how that feels. If it feels good focus on lightening everything else first.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

So due to your tilt, your butt sticks out too much basically?

I have a similar issue fit wise (opposite cause, my butt muscles are just "well developed"). I've made peace with an Osprey Talon (it's what I have) for fit and comfort, but I would suggest looking at a women's pack. They're a bit more contoured for booty-ous maximus so they may feel more comfortable for you.

Plenty of guys are out there wearing packs for gals and enjoying all day comfort.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

… yea… just ask Max.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

is this what we are talking about?

huge butt

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

I never thought there was somebody out there for me, but now I know my soulmate does exist!

David Carson
    BPL Member

@dcarson87354

Man, I have searched high and low for a thread like this when all I had to do was ask y'all! Tons of great info! Recently I have been working on cutting my weight down and and have in doing this have cut about 15 lbs out (who knew?!). I think for the longest time I was wearing my pack too low but have only realized this. I used to keep the hip belt right where my pants sit which definitely was not correct. Now that I have adjusted it higher things seem to be slightly better. Those Mchale packs look pretty snazzy but with the money I spent on lightening the load ill have to wait on that thing. Randy I think your title pretty much sums it up with "hike STRONGER and LIGHTER". And yes Randy, I do have the Ghetto booty but the wife seems not to mind! Appreciate all the responses so far, y'all don't know how much comfort it gives me to actually get valid tips and advice instead of just being told to suck it up.

David Ure

@familyguy

I really like the 'New' Nick. Less serious and more ass.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Recently I was hiking and hit my head on an overhanging boulder. It appears that the warm fuzzy guy over on the right side of my brain has found a conduit via the corpus collosum to the left side. I have been hitting my forehead with my hand to let the curmudgeon guy regain control. I hope this works soon.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Now that made me chuckle Nick!

Edited: the last post, not the picture, but that was kinda funny too.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Thanks, Kat. Been trying to be a gentleman since I can't find Chaff anymore :)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools