Topic

Which Bear Can?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Bear Can?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Is the lightest under $120? I saw few on sale at REI this a.m.,but wanted to make sure that I am not missing something they don't carry. I know the Bearikade will come up, but I usually am in places where it's not required and in the past, I have just borrowed a BV500 from friends. I need 4 days food for one and I am all set. Thanks.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I believe the Bear Boxer Contender is next lightest, followed by the BV450.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I think the BV450 is the best bang for the buck and about the right size for the requirements you mention.

The Bareboxer might also be a good choice if you can fit 4 days of food in it. That will depend on what and how you pack and isn't a slam dunk.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+ however many for the BV 450. Hated the lid on the Bareboxer.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I agree, the BV 450 would be my choice.

My BV 500 is too large, the Garcia is too heavy, and the Bearboxer is a bit too small.

–B.G.–

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I can fit 9-10 days worth of food for myself in my BV450. I just crunch up my noodles and use instant drink mixes and some bars. Price and weight wise, it was the best choice for me on the JMT last year.

Check out REI's anniversary sale going on now.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Thanks everyone. Susan, I am not a big guy and I like to repackage my FB meals in ziplocks. I am excited to learn I might get 4 5 days or more. We are doing both the north and south end of the Lost Coast Trail this summer. Likely able to re-supply mid way, so … I just ordered one. Much appreciate info, anecdotal and otherwise. Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools