Topic

JMT North – South Records

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT North – South Records

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Cannon
    BPL Member

@jeffplddirect-com

Locale: Central California

A buddy and I are planning a 7-10 day trip the whole length of the John Muir Trail (North to South)this September. Does anyone know if there are established records for supported and unsupported trips in this direction?

Not that we will be in danger of breaking any of them, if would just be fun to know what the mutants have achieved.

Jeff Cannon

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Best memory is that it's just under 6 days. There are MANY folks looking to break the record this summer. I have to believe at least one will break the five day mark.

I won't be one though. I'm planning a nice liesurely 15 days.

Jonathan Chiappa
    BPL Member

@chiappaj

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I believe the current record is 5 days 7 hours 45minutes.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Yeah Jon, like you don't know what the record is.

That 5 days is the Unsupported record.
    The Supported is 3 days 21 hours and 5 mins.

Since you can make an attempt by going either way on trail, there is not a differnt record for each way, (you are still doing the same trail).

Here is all of the reading info you need on it.

There are at least 4 of us going for the Unsupported record this year and at least 1 going for the Supported.

The current records:

Both:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir_Trail

Kevin Sawchucks outright record:
    http://www.cerritos.edu/lgersitz/MUT/Profile_Sawchuck.html

Reinhold Metzger's current unsupported record:
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20030929-9999_mz1s29outdor.html

The past records:

Blake Wood's record 1998:
    http://fjwsys.lanl.gov/bpw/jmtarticle.html

Peter Bakwin and Buzz Burrell's attempt in 2000:
    http://dim.com/~buzz/JMT/

Peter Bakwin's record in 2003:
    http://home.comcast.net/~pbakwin/

Brian Robinson's attempt right after in 2003, (excellent story):
    http://www.stevenscreekstriders.org/events/brian_r/jmt_challenge.html
    Brian is coming back this year to go for the Supported record again.

Catra Corbett has the women's supported record at 5 days 10 hours during the first section of her YoYo Record.
    Catra is going for the Self-Supported PCT Record this year and will try for the JMT Unsupported record next year, (and she can get it).
    http://www.myspace.com/catrarunner

John Stamstad attempted the unsupported record in 2005 and would of had it if he had not had to catch a flight before he was able to finish.
    He came back again in 2006 but had something go wrong inside his body, (intestinal? Not sure).
    He will back for vengeance this year.
    There is a very nice write up about this in July's issue of Trail Runner Magazine. His time would have been around 4 days 20 hours.
    If any of the other 3 of us think they will get the record this year, we will need to plan on sub 4 1/2 attempt to keep it, (I'm sure that's about what John is going for).

Then came Al's attempt. You can find all of the info on it by typing (JMT Record) in the BPL Search Box.

Jeffrey Cannon
    BPL Member

@jeffplddirect-com

Locale: Central California

Thank you all for your answers. I am enjoying reading the stories on the links you sent, Aaron. It should be interesting hiking during the early days of September as we might end up seeing quite a few record attempts in various stages. Not that trail running is much of a spectator sport!

Jeff Cannon

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

it's not like he's a near mythical figure or anything

oh, wait…

good luck you guys! i'll be pulling for you – pulling a sierra nevada or two in september and wishing you best luck!

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Locale: SoCal

Brett Maunne; 3 days, 12 hours, some minutes… 2009… unsupported. Look up all the blogging under "JMT record" or "JMT controversy". A guy named Ian and another named Popov have it under 4; unsupported. The star of them all was a 65 year old man, named Rhinehart, who did it in 5,unsupported, some years ago. Rhinehart was the first record breaker. There have been other records from different people covering the entire distance of Portal to Happy Isles. One gal did a "yo-yo"; that was Happy Isles to Whitney summit and then back to Happy Isles — 12 days. (close spelling on the names). Happy Trails.

DeLaSierra

Spruce Goose

@sprucegoose

Locale: New England

Jorge, FYI: the posts prior to yours were from 2007.

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

LOLOLOL!! Wow…. gotta keep up with these postings ah…./ Thanks!

Kenneth L Muller
    BPL Member

@ken_muller

Locale: North to the Future on the Kenai Peninsula

Nice hero pose with the Painted Lady, Jorge. And even though this post initiated in 2007, I would like to continue on the same subject.

Back to Jeff's original question… What is the North to South record for the JMT? I find a lot of information on South to North excursions, but very little on North to South. Yes, it is the same trail, but…

On any "race" course that flows in two directions, there are distinct records for each direction. So it would stand to reason that the JMT should have established records for each dirction. That miserable last night often talked about between Reds Meadow and Tuolumne Meadow would no doubt be different going the other direction – over Glen, over Forester… up Whitney. Think about it.

The only "Fastest Known Time", FKT, mentioned that I have seen in the North to South direction is for the female unsupported record by Jacqueline Florine (http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pacific&action=display&thread=21) back in 2005. No listing for males going in that direction.

Just as the discussion of where the JMT starts and finishes deals out many opinions, so should this aspect of the "records". What are your opinions? As far as I am concerned, the John Muir Trail’s northern terminus is Happy Isles. But is it the road, as you car-to-car enthusiasts stress, or is it the sign, where all the South-to-Northers time themselves? Does the Mist Trail count? No. What about the trail around Tuolumne Meadows? I say old trail north of the highway. And the southern terminus is at the summit of Mt. Whitney. You don’t have to have a trailhead to have the end of the trail. Car-to-car philosophy works great if you are returning to your starting point. Only yo-yos do that in the case of the JMT. Point-to-point, Happy Isles (the sign, as most do) to Whitney, or Whitney to Happy Isles. If you wanna go Whitney Portal to Whitney to Happy Isles, that would just be a different record. Just as going North to South should be a different record than going the other, more common direction.

Kenneth L Muller
    BPL Member

@ken_muller

The import of the North to South record is minor compared to the outstanding achievements of Brett Maune, Sue Johnson, Michael Popov, Kevin Sawchuck, and Rheinhold Metzger. A north-to-south record would be a nice reference point, that's all.

In August, I plan to hike the JMT north-to-south. As an old guy on the north side of 50, I would like to go comparable to Rheinhold Metzger's previous best of 5d7h45m. I'll have a spOt tracker along. I invite your comments on a different record for the N-S direction. More details on my hike plan to follow…

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Greetings to all!

Kenneth, thanks for being out there! You are abosolutely right in all of your points. I like Mr. Metzger's philosophy on the subject; the trail begins and ends where you want it to begin and end… So true. However, if one is going to tell everyone about a personal accomplishment, one must be as accurate on the subject as possible. There is no doubt what the southern terminus of the trail is. The northern one is somewhat not clear; I figure it's at the Happy Isles sign.

I am training for a N2S run also; in 2011. I am used to that direction of travel and know where the water holes are, where to run, where to walk, and most important, when not to do either. This year, I dedicated the time to gear/food/nutrition research, baby- ultra running (50k), speedhikes and overall conditioning. Moreover, I read daily on all postings of JMT speedhikers and runners. The tales of their achievements are important to me; but, more crucial are their tales of failures and "crashes". They post such things to teach and warn the next JMT speedhiker. I dearly appreciate their good faith on this.

I will be on an altitute conditioning hike around the Kearsarge Lakes area on or about the 4th of July ('10). Then, on August 1st, I have scheduled a day-speedhike from the Onion Valley campground to Mirror Lake. These hikes are important to me because they tell me what I am getting myself into.

I will be following your run and your post-run reports with religious attention. I hope you are as generous as the others. At the end of it all, our long term health or lives may depend on a good faith posting. I wish you the absolute best of luck and success.

De La Sierra

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

By the way Kenneth, good spot on the pic… Painted Lady; after leaving the lakes. Heavy backpacking JMT N2S Aug-Sep'09. I heard R. Metzger was ahead of me by one day; with his wife. I tried to convince mine to help me catch up to him but… our packs were just too heavy. In early Sept (app 3rd) we passed by Brett Maune as he adjusted gear in the lower Vidette Meadow area. I did not know who he was at the time. He looked like a "fresh-from-the-world" hiker and I just wanted a weather report! LOL!! Little did I know, right?

DLS

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Then, on August 1st, I have scheduled a day-speedhike from the Onion Valley campground to Mirror Lake."

I hope that is not your plan.

There is no camping allowed at Mirror Lake, and there has never been for about thirty years now.

–B.G.–

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Totally right. I meant Lone Pine Lake (MtW); not Mirror Lake, YNP.

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

Is there an official way to time someone doing this? Or is it just by word of mouth/witness? I'm just curious.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Jorge, from the way you wrote it, I had assumed that you meant Mirror Lake on the Whitney Trail. But, you meant Lone Pine Lake. That's only a few miles.

–B.G.–

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Hey Bob… totally understandable. Do know that I will grab onto any help or tip that is offered; always. Thanks!

Rich, some magazines and/or websites will publish an article or so but, that would be it. Up to this point, I only know JMT speedhikers and ultra hikers to record their achievements via videos, logs and an honor system. That's all I've learned via BackpackingLight discussion boards. Perhaps someone can give us some inside scoop on this.

Kenneth L Muller
    BPL Member

@ken_muller

De La Sierra,
    I will keep folks posted through this website. I won't be setting any records, just fastpacking down the trail as quickly as I can. My right knee keeps talking to me this year… I hope it doesn't let me down on the hike.

The main issues I have had on previous hikes are:
    1) Footwear – I begin to feel every rock through the soles of my running shoes. I am giving them up this year for lightweight Montrail Sabinos that have urethane shanks and reinforced forefoot.
    2) Nutrition – I am trying Hammer Perpeteum this year along with some "normal" foodstuff. The jury is still out. Too much Gu and Clif shots previously.
    3) Chafing – Vaseline and Foot Glide on the feet, crotch, and armpits. Just gotta keep ahead of it.

Gotta go. Hill climb workout this evening… more to follow. /// Ken

Kenneth L Muller
    BPL Member

@ken_muller

Rich/DirtbagLiving… Many folks get witnesses along the way, some hand out "calling cards" to the witnesses and collect names for reference. Brett Maune took videos of different locations and referenced his watch. You can check his stuff out on YouTube under the title of "bmaune JMT record". someone put all his videos together from the hike. He loaded them under the username of bmaunexxx

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Kenneth, I went on a recon speedhike of the trail from Charlotte to the Upper Vidette area on Jul5; looked great. There was heavy winter left over snow on Forester; and below 11,000. PCTers told me they were able to negotiate Forester with ice gear but, it was dangerous at some spots. I heard some folks avoided it altogether because of lack of gear; I don't blame them. Also mentioned as questionable was Glen Pass. I guess the south side of it is thick. Lots of scrambling happening on both passes. I also heard folks are falling short on the east side of Whitney. PCTers told me the west approach to Whitney summit was a mother. By the time you get up there, things should be better. It rained in the area last week and temps went up; summer temps are here. I will give my day hike a go (Onion V to Lone Pine Lake) on August 1st. I am only taking lightweight crampons so, I hope that will be enough. I do have a plan B in case the snow is too thick to cross the passes; turn around.

Happy Trails,
    JD

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I also heard folks are falling short on the east side of Whitney."

Jorge, can you be more specific? Do you refer to the east side Mount Whitney Trail, or the Mountaineer's Route, or what?

On a normal year, it is perfectly normal to have a small amount of snow on the Mount Whitney Trail until August 1. Obviously, it is not a normal year, so a more significant amount of snow should be expected. However, I would think that the trail has been beaten into submission by now.

–B.G.–

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Hi:

When I was on the trail on Jul4-5, I heard folks were turning around at the cables because of snow/ice. The next rough spot was at Trail Crest and upward. Anyone coming from the west found it difficult from trail junction and upward. I do not know anything about the mountaneering route; I should have asked — sorry.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Jorge, this is good information.

I'm not terribly surprised to hear that hikers turned around at the cables. Some people just freak out easily. There is always a bit of snow and ice there, but the cables are rock-solid to hang onto, or else you can squeeze behind the snow and ice next to the rock. I remember before the cables where installed.

Coming from the west and going up the last 1.9 miles to the summit shouldn't be too bad. Generally the only thing that stops hikers is the thin air. Most remaining snow there will melt off except for the last patch 100 vertical meters below the summit.

–B.G.–

Jorge DeLaSierra

@delasierra

Good deal; glad to help! I was thinking the same thing — most folks coming from the east are 1st timers. Have a great trek!

Happy Trails!

jd

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools