Topic

Which quilt for late May GSMNP?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Which quilt for late May GSMNP?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

So I have two options:

1) Enlightened Equipment RevelationX 20 degree.
    http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/revelationx-20/

This weighs about 20-21 ounces, and packs down to about 2x the size of the below DIY quilt.

2) DIY Climashield APEX 2.5 Summer quilt
    http://flic.kr/s/aHsjv76Y3v

This weighs 14-15 ounces, and is about half the size packed of the above EE quilt.

I plan on wearing a baselayer of thin merino longsleeve pants/shirt to bed. Lows appear to be in the mid 50's.

So is the EE overkill? Will I be cold with the summer quilt? I don't mind taking up the extra space/weight for the EE, but don't want to waste it if I don't have too. My total pack weight including food/water will be around 15lbs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Lows in the 50's I'd take the summer quilt. Especially if you are wearing base layers to bed. I would burst into flames under a 20 degree quilt in those temps.

David Hunter

@mdhunter

Eight years ago I hiked the AT from one end of the Smokies to the other during the third week of May. The temps were in the high thirties to forties every night, contrary to the forecast. I remember one particular night it was 38 degrees with heavy fog and slightly swirling winds. The shelter was full, and it seemed that everything everybody had was wet. It was a cold night! A fifty degree forecast does guarantee fifty degrees.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The forecasts are pretty good a few days out.
    But temps can range from 30s-60s that time

Ill personally take my chances with one cold night, but I dont aspire to several in a row.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Joey, There is a possibility that I may be hiking in the Smokies/high elevation NC late in May/early June. I have quilts in much the same range as yours (20 degree and one summer one, both MYOG).

If I go I will be taking my summer quilt (10.8 oz total weight) without hesitation, but likely take my down puller over and fleece cap also. With all of these items I can push the quilt down to upper 30's. If you are at high elevations (5000-6000 feet) you can certainly see temps in the 30's in late May, possibly even sub freezing. If you are sleeping at lower elevations than the weather forecast in the 50's is much more reasonable. I've found the temps can be 20 degrees lower than forecast at the upper elevations.

Jamie

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

Sounds like I will stick with the EE 20 deg bag to be on the safe side. Our campsites are at 2500 and 3000 feet, so the lows will most likely be a little lower than forecasted. I am not planning on taking a heavier top layer than a thin wool longsleeve and a thin fleece vest, so I don't want to risk it. I know for the most part during the day, and even up until dark I will be comfortable with the clothes I am taking already, so the 20 deg quilt should fill the gap at night.

Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to the trip this weekend!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools