Topic

HMG Mid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG Mid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Has anyone seen this? HMG Mid

http://tinyurl.com/agv9pfl

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

They've been working on it for at least a year. Not available for purchase as of yet.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Thanks Chris. I had heard rumours but this was the first time I had seen a pic.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

They posted a video on their Facebook page a little while back of the AMW Ski Classic, and there was one a few of the shots. Presumably someone like Luc Mehl had a prototype for testing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just got back from Trail Days and they had a two-person mid and a 4-person mid set up. They look awesome, I didn't get any specs on dimensions, but I believe they said the two-person came in at just over a pound.

Hyperlite Mountain Gear
    BPL Member

@hyperlitemountaingear

Locale: Maine

HMG is pleased to announce that after more than a year of design and testing the UltaMids ARE available now in 2-man and 4-man sizes. These cuben fiber mids are not yet on our site but can be ordered by emailing us directly at [email protected] or calling us at 1-800-464-9208. Here are the specs:

2-Man UltaMid, $650
    1.04lbs / 16.6oz
    83"W x 107"L x 64"H

4-Man UltaMid, $800
    1.3llbs / 20.8oz
    111"W x 111"L x 75"H

The UltaMids are available with an optional bug net skirt for an additional $50.

Each of the UltaMids is constructed of single wall Cuben Fiber and has been tested and proven for four-season use.

HMG UltaMid

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What thickness cuben fiber are you using?

Also, since this is nearly 2' wider than a Duomid (unless my math is bad), can I assume this would be more difficult to set up in an inverted V pole setup than the Duomid?

One more question, I assume this is bonded-no seam sealing necessary?

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

They managed to bring their Mid in at only 2 ounces heavier and $235 more then the MLD DuoMid! Or the Locus Gear Khufu, to which it bears an eerie resemblance, if only I could convert Yen to Dollars in my head.

David Ure

@familyguy

Well the 2 person version is quite large! What is the difference in cuben weight?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Yowza! $650 is a lot of dough.

Ryan

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Google is your friend:
    Google currency conversion

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Lets see some pictures with people and gear actually using them.

Need a sense of scale.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Locale: Northern CA

Doug, I think the 64" height might make it even harder to use the inverted v pole set up as the Duomid height is 54"

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I think the 64" height might make it even harder to use the inverted v pole set up as the Duomid height is 54""

Richard, you're right, I missed that. This new mid is pretty darned big, and yet only 2 oz. heavier than a cuben Duomid. I assume they're using pretty lightweight cuben. Will be nice when Mike puts it up on the HMG site with a bit more info.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

It seems to me you are also going to need a big pole extender at that height. Probably best to lash two poles together or use a proper tent pole.

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

According to my trigonometry (abandon all hope ye who enter here): on the 2p, if you set the poles about 5 inches in from the base of the walls on the shorter span, they need to be about 73 inches long.

75 inches if they're an inch from the fabric base to get more floor space. That's assuming the panel tie outs lift the fabric off despite the curve — I'm not sure if putting that much tension on panel centres (instead of reinforced seams) is a good idea.

Charles Tufankjian

@ctufankjian

Locale: New Hampshire

Right on Mike, I've been waiting for this to happen!

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Well, the trigger has been pulled on a 2 man UltaMid. I'll report back after I get my hands on it.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Since HMG uses CF8 Cuben on all other tent walls, I expect that is what this tent will use. CF8 is 0.74 ozyd.

Derrick

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

According to an email I got from Mike this morning it is .78 oz/sq/yd material and a 1.1oz/sq/yd material for all the reinforcements.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Richard,

Is HMG including a trekking pole extender, selling a custom center pole or recommending tying 2 poles together?

The Ultamid 2 tent slots nicely in with existing options size-wise:

HMG Ultamid 2 107 x 83 x 64H
    MLD Duomid 95 x 60 x 54H
    MLD Supermid 107 x 107 x 69H
    HMG Ultamid 4 111 x 111 x 75H

Its pricey, but I expect the cuben tent market has tolerance for it!

Derrick

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

I actually didn't even ask about it as I have a Luxurylite hiking staff that I use that will work perfect with it. I'll check with Mike at HMG to see what they are recommending.

Hyperlite Mountain Gear
    BPL Member

@hyperlitemountaingear

Locale: Maine

Here's a little more information on our new UltaMid that might help in comparisons to mids from other manufacturers:

-The HMG UltaMid is constructed using CT2E.08 Cuben Fiber which weighs 0.78oz per square yard.

-The HMG UltaMid has fully bonded seams. Its waterproof right out of the box — no seam sealing necessary.

-The HMG UltaMid includes all guy lines needed for set up (stakes are not included).

-The HMG UltaMid features a peak cone reinforced with a plastic stiffener for maximum durability and to prevent deformation when setting up using irregularly shaped trekking poles, sticks or even skis.

Here's a pic of the UltaMid in the field:HMG UltaMid in the Field

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It's not on your website

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

After extensive Q&A with Mike of HMG I pulled the trigger and ordered an Ultamid 4 today.

Will report with images once I get it.

Derrick

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools