Topic

Real newbie Sawyer question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Real newbie Sawyer question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hello. I bought a Sawyer Squeeze a few weeks ago and I plan on using it for the first time this weekend. I have two 2L Evernew bladders. My plan is to connect one bladder to my drinking tube. I then will use the other bladder for filtering by scooping the water, connecting the filter, and then squeezing the water into my drinking bladder (disconnecting the tube first).

Seems straightforward… is that all there is to it? I've been reading about using the Sawyer "inline" or as a gravity filter… just confusing myself at this point. I also have read that some people bring a separate scoop to get the water into the bladder. I'd like to see if I can do without but I do see the challenge of getting the water into such a small opening.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Inline means connecting it to a tube that connects to a hydration soft bladder like a platypus that most put inside or in an outside pocket of their pack. Gravity means connecting to a larger bladder, hanging it up higher, and letting gravity do the work instead of squeezing (as you would in the case of using the bottle bladder that comes with it), or sucking (connecting it to a platypus).

Personally, i don't find the latter two options particularly necessary or helpful for the conditions i experience, but i could see using the inline option if hiking in the desert during hot temps where you need to constantly drink to maintain hydration.

I have a Sawyer squeeze, and i either just bring one (a larger bladder bottle) or two of the bladder bottles depending and drink when taking quick stops.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Regarding scoops, its not so much a matter of the opening being small. If you're filling the bladder from a falling source like a water fall (or a faucet) you won't have any problems because the force of the water inside the bladder will push the sides out so you can fill all the available volume. If you try to dip it into a slow-moving creek or pool the pressure of the water outside the bladder will prevent it from expanding and there won't be any space in the bladder for water to go. With my Platypus bottles I can sometimes hold it in such a way that the sides don't collapse and it fills up ok but I haven't had as much luck with the Sawyer bladders. My little scoop holds about 16 oz and weighs 0.5oz. For me that's a small penalty to pay for the headache saved.

Adam

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks guys.

Adam, what do you use for a scoop?

I've seen this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28445

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I use the lower half or so of a 1 quart plastic milk container. It's super light, flexible for scooping or pointing to pour, but sturdy enough to hold itself open. I carry it either as a "case" for my bagged first aid kit, or around the Sawyer and bags.

steven franchuk

@surf

the nice things about the in line setup is that you only need one bladder. An extra bladder or other water container is not necessary. also once you set up camp you can use it as a gravity filter to fill up pots for cooking and fill any additional water containers you may have.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

For the scoop, since you're using the Evernews and don't need the squeeze bags that came with the Sawyer, take the smallest and cut the top off straight across for a scoop.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools