Topic

ge silicone ii

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ge silicone ii

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I just want to confirm, is this the stuff people use to seamseal tarptents? http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ge-silicone-ii-window-door-sealant-clear-290-ml/941917

I was at home depot and figured I would pick up a tube. I just wanted to get confirmation before I mix this stuff up and put it on my tent this weekend. Thanks!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

That's what I used. It's also what Henry sends out if you order silicone from him.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Perfect thanks!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Set your tent up TIGHT so you have good flow into the stitching. Otherwise, if you just "cover" the stitching, you'll have gaps when the wind stretches the fabric.

Mix it to "warm honey" consistency and apply it with a needleless 10cc syringe.
    Work it in with the tip.
    Excellent control.

Give it Plenty of time to dry.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I also keep it around for small holes/tears in the fabric of the tent floor. Works great.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

You can also make custom insoles with it! There are some instructions on the web, but basically make a layer, cover with plastic wrap, and make impressions with your feet. Trim to fit. There are other DIY insole options out there, but none so simple.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

curious what you guys mean by mixing?
    I thought the GE silicone came in a tube… no mixing..

and what do you mix it with?

bill

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"curious what you guys mean by mixing?
    I thought the GE silicone came in a tube… no mixing.."

With mineral spirits. Go to Tarp Tent's website. They have a nice video on the topic.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer works well too. I used this for the first time a couple of months ago to seal up my TarpTent Moment DW and it worked great. No mixing necessary since it comes in a good consistency. Furthermore, it's already in a conveniently sized tube with applicator tip that allows you to work the silicone into the seam and lay a nice bead. Similar to applying caulk around the home, I cut the applicator tip at a 45 degree angle and pushed the bead of silicone across the seam. After that, I ran a folded rag across the bead to wipe off the excess. It did cure a bit more "glossy" than when I've used the GE Clear Silicone II + mineral spirits mixture, but still a very light and tidy application. A much cleaner appearance then anything I've done in the past.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

+ 1, 2, 3, & 4 for what Alex said!

Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant

I use a short, stiff disposable foam rubber brush to apply it after squeezing out a small amount onto the tip of the brush from the tube. Working the brush sideways along the seam has given me great results.

One $5.00 tube goes a lot farther then you would think. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

The bathtub in Tarptents are pretty slick and things move around a lot. Henry told me to brush a few swatches of the sealent ont eh bottom as this will give you a few "sticky" spots. I have two 2" bands across the bottom of the tent where my shoulder and butt would touch. To thin it, I used white gas, worked great. Best wishes – Jon

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

There's been a lot of chatter about silicone. While some people have had great success with GE II mixed with silicone others have had it flake/peel off quickly. The chemistry gist is that different thickness/viscosities of silicone formulas are not simple additions of mineral spirits. Any thinner you add will alter the chemistry and result in a weaker solution.

Hence people love the flowable windshield sealer from permatex. It's designed to be thinner out of the tube without weakening the final coating/seal. I'm sure GE makes a similar product, but haven't looked into it since permatex is readily available from auto stores.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Interesting that no one is mentioning the McNett Sil Net product that is specifically formulated for silicone impregnated nylon fabrics and sold in backpacking stores everywhere… and it flows.

bill

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Wow a lot of responses, I haven't found permatex flowable in stores around my area. I'm having doubts about this stuff now. I think I may just pick up silnet from MEC.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Advance Auto Parts has it. Is there a location near where you are located?

Party On,

Newton

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Patrick, everybody is an expert but do keep in mind that thousands of tents have been done with the GEII stuff.
    I mostly use the local equivalent mixing it with Mineral Turpentine (paint thinner)
    Here is my backyard a few days ago :
    Seam sealing
    (not that other ways don't work….)
    BTW, those are not mine. I just seam sealed them for customers.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Franco…. you've proven that not all hoarding is bad. That's quite a fleet you have three. Looks like you have backups for backups.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

5 or 10 parts mineral spirits to 1 part silicone

mix for maybe 10 minutes – that is, stir, wait a few minutes, stir agains,… until all the silicone is disolved

I got some "odorless" mineral spirits once that worked fine. Another time I got some odorless mineral spirits and it was watery and I didn't even try it – maybe just use regular mineral spirits

steven franchuk

@surf

I got some "odorless" mineral spirits once that worked fine. Another time I got some odorless mineral spirits and it was watery and I didn't even try it – maybe just use regular mineral spirits

due to clean air regulations in some places some manufactures have reformulated Mineral spirits to reduce volatile organic compounds (low VOC). Low VOC mineral spirits don't work well with silicone. One alternative to Mineral spirits is White Gas.

Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield & Glass Sealer as mentioned earlier doesn't need to be thined. You can find this at auto parts stores.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

regular mineral spirits works

maybe in some locations they don't allow it and only have the watery stuff that doesn't work well

I didn't even try it. Maybe I'll use it for wasing oil paint off brushes?

white gas produces explosive fumes so you have to be very careful, like use it outside. And white gas might disolve the fabric you're applying it to? It is very nasty stuff.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The chemistry gist is that different thickness/viscosities of silicone formulas are
    > not simple additions of mineral spirits. Any thinner you add will alter the chemistry
    > and result in a weaker solution.

My feeling and experience too. I no longer thin the sealants I use. Instead I use a THIN bead and press it in with my finger along the seam. Done carefully you can keep the stuff confined to the seam and not spread out everywhere – which is a waste anyhow.

Yes, I also put stripes on the groundsheet and under the airmats, for grip.

Permatex Flowable Windscreen has been good. Other brands in little tubes have also been good. I haven't tried the GE stuff yet.
    The stuff in big cartridges – not so good, and a very short life once opened. I suggest you avoid them.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use 3 : 1 thinner to silicone (by volume) for seams – both sides.

But for coating large areas of the main canopy I have used a 5 : 1 ratio and brushed it on to prevent "mist-thru" in driving rains. It has worked very well and never gave an indication of peeling over three years.

I put the ingredients in a plastic jar with a lid and shake very well then re-shake about every 5 minutes as I brush it on. Best way I know of making sure it is well mixed.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I did my Duomid with the Permatex stuff, and it worked really well. My only complaint is that it leaves a very glossy bead that way. Henry's method is more aesthetically pleasing as you can barely tell that the silicone is there, and it has worked without fault for some time now.

That said, I trust Roger that the mixture isn't as strong, thus the reason I went with Permatex for the Duomid, which I take into more serious weather.

steven franchuk

@surf

"white gas produces explosive fumes so you have to be very careful, like use it outside. And white gas might dissolve the fabric you're applying it to? It is very nasty stuff."

The hydrocarbon solvents in Mineral spirits are also present in White gas although in lesser amounts in White gas. both White gas and Mineral Spirits are flammable and produce explosive fumes and should only be used in a well ventilated space or outside.

This is the discussion on using white gas instead of low VOC Mineral Spirits: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73437

And based on a previouse discussion no one reported any damage done to the fabric from White Gas and apparently white gas is recommended by Tarptents.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I havent found permatex flowable in ottawa canada. It's a long weekend. I'll try the tarptent method using the ge i got.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools