Topic

Waterproof AND Mosquito proof layer?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof AND Mosquito proof layer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Simon Manka
    BPL Member

@denalioutdoors

I've done a lot of reading on the threads about repelling mosquito's and being waterproof- but not sharing the same features. I want to find a combination of waterproof gear which is also mosquito proof- mainly due to a trip planned to Alaska in June. If anyone has any recommendations whether it's rain shirts, gaitors, shells please offer your thoughts. And as always, ultralight! The less expensive the better!

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Any poly coated nylon or silnylon fabric is going to be both mosquito and water proof. Of course a garment made of either is going to sweat up when a more breathable garment wouldn't.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I live in Alaska and I don't think I've ever used rain gear that wasn't mosquito proof. Personally I'd be comfortable with choosing appropriate rain gear and assuming it was mosquito proof.

Bring some DEET as well. I usually just use it for the backs of my hands and a little on my face, relying on clothing (including a bandana hanging under my cap protecting the back of my neck and the sides of my face) as mosquito armor for the rest of me.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You could look over this , this and watch watch this .Buck Nelson who posted above has a great web site and movie also.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I agree with Buck. Just about every waterproof garment is also bug proof. The exception would be an umbrella or poncho (not because of the fabric, but because of how it is worn). I use a Propore jacket and pants along with Event mitts, Goretex gators and a head net. It keeps the bugs out while being reasonably breathable. An Event jacket would be more breathable. I'm sure there are windshirts that are more breathable as well (but most of those aren't waterproof). So, one combination that could replace my gear is a nice light poncho or umbrella along with a windshirt.

Simon Manka
    BPL Member

@denalioutdoors

I appreciate the responses here- i was pretty confident that most garments that are waterproof could do the trick, but i will definitely be packing bandana's and deet. i'm thinking the bandanas will double as sun blocks when trying to sleep. We'll see if that work out. My tent certainly wont block the sun any thoughts on that?

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

A tent won't block the low arctic sun of "night" but it will make it a little darker which will help.

Some people have virtually no issues sleeping when it's light outside as long as their body clock says it's time to sleep. A bandana as a blindfold might work well if you find the light to be an issue. You'll likely find that you'll be tired and will sleep well regardless.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Agree with all that say waterproof gear is bug proof (but you may want to take some rubber bands to lock down the cuffs if they aren't elastic).

I live in Alaska, however, and highly recommend you bring a head net. They are worth their weight in gold, and will save you sanity. My preference is the Sea to Summit, because it's long (full neck coverage and tucks into your shirt) and it's black (easier to see through black netting than green or white). Comes with a little stuff sack which I recommend you use for storage (or use a zip lock) since netting has a tendency to attach itself to anything velcro and then it rips when you pull it away.

As for sleeping- nights in Alaska get cool. If you wear a hat to bed, as I do, just pull your hat down over your eyes.

Simon Manka
    BPL Member

@denalioutdoors

I'll be trusting these responses as they sound good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools