Topic

Dried Fruits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I would like to know if Dried Fruits are good source of calories when it comes to backpacking, and where to buy them (unsweetened and minimally processed).

David Ure

@familyguy

Very much so. I normally go to the Bulk Barn. Alternatively, I sometimes do my own. Recommended.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Harmony House

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

"I would like to know if Dried Fruits are good source of calories when it comes to backpacking"

That depends on how you look at it. They're tasty and have lots of potassium, among other nutrients, but the caloric density may not be especially high. Most are well under 100 calories/ounce, and some are labeled as below 80 calories/ounce. Most of the high caloric density foods will of course contain fat, but even among carbohydrate sources, you can get more calories from some other things. Many people, myself included, like to use relatively high caloric density dried fruits as one of their carbohydrate sources, but to call on some others sources as well, both for variety and for the calories.

Cheers,

Bill S.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I buy my dried fruit via Amazon, Trader Joe's and Costco – where I can get versions without preservatives. And I also dry them myself as well, stored in glass Mason jars.
    Fruit is good for you – full of fiber!

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Sarah: Costco sounds cost effective to me, can you tell me which product you normally buy from Costco.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Usually Kirkland brands but some name brands. For example, I get my Medjool dates in the produce section, organic Sunmaid raisins in the baking aisle, cherries and blueberries in the snack aisle (they also carry young coconut meat).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I get dried figs from Costco as well. I also like to bring dried dates, but i don't get these from Costco anymore as mine doesn't carry the dried, pitted kind lately.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

"(they also carry young coconut meat)."

Sarah — I have never heard of young coconut meat before. Thank you. I was thinking it is like the veal of the coconut.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol…..exactly :-D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools