Topic

Which Pencil for the JMT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Pencil for the JMT?

Viewing 6 posts - 126 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

“Clearly these are delicate instruments and the points must be protected, after all if one is constantly re-sharpening broken tips then you will have to carry two pencils. ”

But, but, but…  With a mechanical pencil you don’t have to worry about the point breaking.  They are lighter for the amount of usage provided so they are obviously the correct choice for BPL.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Funny you should ask, Dean. Just yesterday I was replenishing my emergency kit from the summer’s use. I didn’t like the way the golf pencil was just sitting there, with the tip unprotected. So I cut a 3/4″ piece of the right diameter silicone tubing that snugly fit the pencil, with a bit extending beyond the tip of the lead point to protect it. I wouldn’t exactly call it MYOG, because the scrap of tubing was just sitting idly on the table, just a foot from the pencil. It took all of 30 seconds see the solution and complete the job.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Re: carrying loaded pencils

Get some slip-on style erasers and put one over the sharpened tip.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You’re all wrong! You want one of these!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Doug

LOL!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Those clay tablets though…

Viewing 6 posts - 126 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools