Topic

Bikepacking…Literally.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Bikepacking…Literally.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

There's a self-supported loop nearby that I've had my eye on for some time. ~25 miles hiking up a canyon followed by ~55 miles down the mountain on a bike. I'm aiming for doing it in a day, but might want to turn it into an overnight. The beauty of really light backpacking loads is that I could still be under 40 pounds, even with my 30# steel beater MTB on my back. I thought about simply pushing the bike the whole way, carrying it when necessary (mounting a shoulder sling in the frame), but the canyon has too many stream crossings and short boulder filled stretches to have my hands tied up.

Out playing around with packing configurations earlier; very subjective to pack type/bike, but I found a pretty quick way to mount the MTB securely on my Kelty Satori.
    It seems that taking off the pedals is worth having to carry a pedal wrench. Dropping the seatpost would likely be a good idea too.

I'm now trying to figure out ways to get the broken down bike on and off the pack quickly (it's hard to access pack contents with the bike on it).

So…
    Anyone else like carrying bikes on their backs? Any tips/thoughts?

Nelson Sherry

@nsherry61

Locale: Mid-Willamette Valley

Sound like a fun adventure. I'd try and pack anything I need access to in as small front pack, or the very top of the main pack, and then not worry to much about having to get into the main pack while the bike is attached.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT
    Dave T

@davet

Nice Craig.

Trip report requested, especially if you turn it into an overnighter!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I know nothing about this subject… but nice haircut!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Instead of bringing a pedal wrench, swap to one of the many pedals that install with a 6 or 8 mm hex inside the spindle. That way you can just use the minitool/Allen wrenches you would probably bring for general use anyway.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"Instead of bringing a pedal wrench, swap to one of the many pedals that install with a 6 or 8 mm hex inside the spindle. "

I thought the same thing, but realized that he's probably rolling on some old school flat pedals w/ Power Grips or something along those lines. The Nishiki frame with vee brakes is a dead giveaway on the age of Craig's bike.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yeah, I should swap pedals.

I do have a pair of DH style platforms with a hex on them.
    I'm currently sporting the stock Nishiki pedals with plastic cages/straps to keep it all old school.

I have a much sexier/modern MTB but I keep coming back to the old Nishiki. I love beater bikes.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

If you're mostly going downhill you should check this out as an option

http://www.bergmoench.com/en/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools