Topic

MYOG Backpack Prototype

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Backpack Prototype

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Stafford

@chrisman2013

I recently decided to make a backpack to replace the Golite Quest that I've been using. My loads are just too small and lightweight to justify using such a large and heavy pack.(7-8 pound base weight with a 2.5 pound pack? That means about 35% of my weight was my pack) It's the first backpack I've made, so I decided that I would make a cheap prototype before I committed any expensive X-Pac or Cuben to the project.

The prototype is made out of a blue poly tarp from Wally's World and some random webbing and buckles I had laying around. I created my own pattern, but based the design off some alpine style packs I've seen, with the curved bottom and narrow, sloping sides.

Overall I'm pleased with how it turned out, and can't weight to get some Cuben or X-Pac to make the real deal! I'm still debating a compression system and side pockets on the final pack. Hope you all like it, I'd love any feedback you have.

Backpack Prototype

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Looks good Chris!

Is it basically like an Ion in proportion and size, but with a rolltop closure?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Looks great.

"My loads are just too small and lightweight to justify using such a large and heavy pack.(7-8 pound base weight with a 2.5 pound pack? "

Its not the base weight that matters though, its the weight with food and water.

I use a 34 oz pack with a 7.5 lb base weight frequently. The total weight is hitting mid 20s though for 6 days with food and water.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Looks great, I'd suggest holding off on cuben for a bit. I did 3 or 4 packs before I was completely happy with the result. Xpac is a much cheaper material and probably the easiest to work with. I would not mess with Cuben until you have dialed in a perfect pack design. Thicker Xpack is stiff an hard to work into smaller shapes so I might get some softer fabric for the straps.

Pockets are tricky, I normally just make a front pocket big enough to hold a platy and a few odds and ends. I had mine cinch up at the top with an elastic cord and lineloc with a velcro flap at the top. It helps make sure stuff doesn't fall out and it just looks neater.

Chris Stafford

@chrisman2013

"Is it basically like an Ion in proportion and size, but with a rolltop closure?"

Not exactly. I have a long torso so it might look smaller than it is, but with the rolltop closure only rolled down part way, the pack seems to be larger than my Osprey Hornet 32. I'd guess it's around 35 liters, so a decent bit larger than an Ion. (the Ion was 25 liters correct?)

"Its not the base weight that matters though, its the weight with food and water."

That is absolutely right. However, even with several 5 day trips in the past two years, I have not once completely filled my Golite Quest. The Golite is huge at 72 liters and is really excessive for the trips I normally take. I do love the pack though, and am certainly keeping it around for winter skiing and hiking.

"Looks great, I'd suggest holding off on cuben for a bit."

I was planning on doing just that. Not only is the cost of X-Pac better, but I am somewhat intimidated by the concept of taping/bonding the pack.

My plan for the pockets was to make a wrap-around pocket similar to what Chris Zimmer has done with many of his packs with a shockcord drawstring at the top to cinch it up.

Edit: If anyone is interested the the pack's pattern, you can find it at my new blog here: Mountains Calling

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools