Topic

Backpacking in the tropics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Backpacking in the tropics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I went backpacking once on Hinchinbrook Island in Queensland. Hot, sweaty and not entirely pleasant. Recently, I was day hiking on Nuku Hiva in French Polynesia. Hot, sweaty and a good workout, but I was pretty soaked by the time I reached the summit (only 1,800 feet). Is there a secret or trick to backpacking in the tropics? Does anyone regularly do it and if so, do you use any particular gear or clothing? Or is this something that you just need to mentally adjust to (suck it up and get over it cupcake)? Jon

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I'll hike the Z trail every few years in Hawaii, which is hot during the day, about 60 at night. I did not need that much clothing, equipment, or (last time) even hot food. Used a set of rock craft pants that stay rolled as shorts to unroll in the evening. Brought a 45F phantom bag just in case but will like leave it for a bag liner next time. Probably have a Cuben-fiber shelter too.

Needed more water tho.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

In french Polynesia, it got down a little below 80 at night. Day times in the mid 80's but it got pretty humid. I read a report where some people backpacked there for a month or so.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I grew up in the desert so I'm not used to any kind of humidity whatsoever. I was stationed in Panama and I never got over how muggy it is; I'd sweat like a pig all day. It seems like you have to grow up in that climate to tolerate it well.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Lows in the 80's is a little much for me. Like wearing cotton in the desert though, it might mean that instead of using a sleeping pad with some sort of R rating for insulation, a camper would go for a regular air mattress to conduct heat away or a hammock to maximize air flow.

Just some thoughts.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

You can improve things a little, but humid backpacking is mostly miserable. When its humid, nights tend to stay warm and muggy. That why most of us in the SE US will only hike at high elevations in summer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools