Topic

BEST ultralight spinning rod / reel.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BEST ultralight spinning rod / reel.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I've had this combo for a year and wanted to find out if anyone had anything lighter.

65g – St Croix PS56ULF2 Premier Spinning
    143g – Bass Pro Shops® Micro Lite™ Elite Spinning Reel

Here's my review of the rod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2EbCi2zlYw

The reel is decent but it takes a bit of force to engage.

I did a bunch of research here and as far as I know this is the BEST ultralight rig without making any major compromises.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Just under 8oz total. Restoration Hardware for the rod and Cabelas for the reel. Many trout caught with this set up.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

it looks like you have Jay beat at 7.3 ounces.

Nice setup, but the rod seems a bit pricey for a spinning set-up. The rule of thumb I have heard on fishing equipment is spend your money on the reel for a spinning set-up and spend your money on the rod for a fly set-up. I wonder how that rod would match up against this diawa for $40-50 less: http://www.basspro.com/Daiwa-SpinmaticC-Ultralight-Travel-Pack-Rods/product/12082905322469/

I like the reel you chose. Seems like a nice comprise of quality, price, and size. Not sure what my stuff ways to compare, sorry :(

Peter Nash

@nash-pattbi-com

Locale: West Michigan

I have the Daiwa Spinmatic that Ben's link shows. It's the 5 1/2' model, weighs 2.88oz. I've used it or an equivalent 4 piece rod for years. I like it. And I agree with Kevin's video comments about the benefits of a 4 piece rod over a 2 piece one when backpacking. A fishing rod that sticks out above your pack is asking to be broken.

My reel is a Lexus Silstar 20 that I picked up online some years ago. It weighs 4.54 oz. with line. I keep checking to see if I can get a lighter reel, but I haven't found one yet.

Rod Reel Photo

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I find that the cheapest and flimsiest set ups out there are often the lightest.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my Quantum 4 piece pack rod w/ a Quantum xtralight reel weighs in at 8.6 oz total (loaded w/ 2# test), the best part was it cost $30 :)

the rod is graphite and the reel is a 3 ball bearing, so pretty decent quality- enough so I landed this 5# cutbow w/ it

photo bigfish.jpg

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Though I usually avoid comparing the size of my junk with people, this….

rod

This one is a bit of a cliche on BPL, being a favorite of a bunch of people. It is functional, but only 3 feet long. I'm cheating here, if you include the cap the total weight (no line, lures, etc.) Is actually 6.9 oz, but the cap is not functional. I have a bit of distain for the tiny fish in most mountain streams and lakes, having grown up fishing for large game fish in Florida since I was about 8 – so this one seems sufficient for most purposes. Its not as elegant as a fly rod, but cost less than $30.

Edit: this is the compromise-full rather than compromise-free choice. LOL On the other hand when I was a kid we used to TRY to hook a 60-80 lb Jack or Tarpon off the pier where I fished, and then see if we could land it on 8 lb test or less, and a crappy (but voluminous) reel. When successful it took about 1 1/2 – 2 hours, but was great fun. You could view the "toy" ultralights in this light and think of it as sporting rather than a compromise.

Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

I use the first combo found at the link below, nice higher quality 5`11" long 10 ounce rod and reel setup.There is also a nice review on YouTube for this combo kit.
    http://www.psfishing.com/combo.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOdlUxpZ5y0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Nothing to really add here except I'm pretty sure Mike M could give Chuck Norris a run for his money.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

After soliciting advice from forum members and reading all the old threads, here's what I've come up with:

Components described here. It seems like I could take less tackle to drop the weight a bit. I've currently got 4 spinning lures and about 4-6 flies, and the kastmaster lures weigh the most.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Kevin,

Did you ever find anything lighter than what you currently have? Sent you a PM.

Dharma Dog
    BPL Member

@dharmadog

Locale: The Louisiana Swamp

St. Croix Premier 6 ft – 4 piece travel spinning rod 2.8 oz
    Yes..190.00 is spendy for a backpacking rod but you get what you pay for and even though this is a sectional rod it performs better than many of my one piece rods.
    When I'm fishing on the trail rod sensitivity is important. If I don't catch fish I don't eat.
    Currently I'm using a Pflueger Supreme XT reel, not to be confused with the Supreme MG, and my XT weighs in at 6.4 oz.
    The Pflueger is smooth as silk and casts a country mile. I couldn't be happier with this setup and can't imagine anything better.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

Thanks for mentioning the Supreme XT, it's the first lightweight reel I could see swapping my President XT for.

Have you compared your Premium travel to the Triumph travel? I'm curious how much better the sensitivity and feel are.

Dharma Dog
    BPL Member

@dharmadog

Locale: The Louisiana Swamp

No..never had the chance to compare the Triumph vs the Premier. I wanted to but couldn't find a store within 5 hours of where I live that even stocked the St. Croix travel rods.
    I was so tired of the performance and durability issues with the cheap so called "travel/camping" rods and reels that I didn't want to take any more chances so I spent the extra 90.00 for the Premier rod. If you're interested in a Supreme XT now is the time to pick one up on sale for 120.00 instead of the usual 160.00

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

Which size Supreme XT? Oh, I see, the smallest, thanks

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Now I'm REALLY interested in the telescoping rods I've seen here. My Cabela's telescoping CF rod keeps breaking just behind the tip guide. (AArrrrggghhh!)

I have a very light Penn spinning reel so an ounce or two here is no biggie for me. It's teh damn ROD I need to be durable.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

what's the name of the one Mark has pictured?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

That's the pen rod from gofastandlight. I broke the damn thing trying to get unsnagged from some tulies.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Yeah, the pen rod is pretty crappy. No action to speak off. Since it was so cheap I decided to check out this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KWIC52/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and was pleasantly surprised. It is only about 3 oz, but longer and with some nice action. They also have a longer one at 6 1/2 ft. This one is also delicate, but pretty damn cheap. You could get 12 of them for $190. Guess if it snaps in the back country that will be slim comfort. Still this cheapo is way nicer than the pen rod.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I have a "pen" rod that also broke at the tip. I repaired it with the tip piece off an old fiberglass (broken) noodle rod. Works better than it ever did new.

Note that it is possible to get a 6' fly rod. Here is one supplier: http://www.rdpflyrods.com/blanks.html
    (I don't really care for shorter spinning rods, as was mentioned, no action.)

A 6', 4 piece can be had in a 2wt fly line. With carefull attachment of the seat, it is also possible to use a spinning reel on this rod. So, for about a 12oz weight you can carry both reels, rod, and flies/lures. This is rather complete. Just use a larger stripping guide when building it. You don't really need the grip. This will also give it a bit more action down into the body.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

after years of packing the them around, i decided that by it's very shape, a spinning reel is a pita.
    to that end, i now pack a baitcasting reel : sure, it makes me look like was born in a tailer park, but heck, lots of your better men in the rack were. (that's probably bad grammar, eh ? i have no idea.)

a baitcasting rig packs better and for my needs, hauls in bigger fish than a similarly hefted spin thing.

just my op.

v.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Peter, your bait casting reel for backpacking may be revolutionary – or retro. But the sheer individuality of that choice makes you a "reel man". (Sorry, couldn't resist the double entendre.)

Michele Dauber
    BPL Member

@mldaubergmail-com

Hi! I tried to find the Pfluger reel you mentioned but the one I think you cited seems to weigh 7.1 ounces. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pflueger-supreme-xt-spinning-reel-1408220742116-1 Could you clarify the model?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you realize this thread is over 7 years old

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools