Topic

Can a Guy use a Women’s Pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Can a Guy use a Women’s Pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I can't really find a good answer for this in a thread search, but how much of a difference is there between women's and men's packs from the male perspective? I've tried on a couple Women's packs and didn't notice any huge difference, but I'm concerned about long-term use. Any advice?

Thanks,
    M

Thomas Rayl
    BPL Member

@trayl

Locale: SE Tx

Generally, yes.

The main difference is most likely the fit of the shoulder straps which may sit wider apart on the ladies' packs and the chest strap (if any) may be positioned a bit lower to accommodate the feminine physique. Watch out for overall sizing, too. But, "if the pack fits, wear it."

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

The common design changes I see are that the shoulder straps attach further in on the pack to accommodate a woman's naturally narrower shoulders, S-shaped shoulder straps to fit around the breasts instead of going over the top of them (not on all women's packs) and a smaller waist belt, often positioned differently than on a man's pack to fit a woman's hips.

But in some cases, a "women's" version just means it's the man's version shrunk down a little with no real changes to the design.

Could a guy wear it? Sure, if it was large enough to fit him. Whether he would find it comfortable, that I couldn't tell you.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"..concerned about long term use.."
    And you are right to be. Long term use of a woman's pack may affect your hormone levels among other things. You may notice yourself looking at Capris as a good hiking pant option next..
    ;)

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Capris would be a good way to save some grams if one is wearing gators anyways. No need for the extra pants fabric to go all the way down past the ankles. ;op

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Wearing gators. That sounds either terrifying or an odd choice of shoes for hiking…
    :) sorry, could not help it.

Good thread gone silly

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

It all depends on the fit.

My husband gets my "heavy" hand-me downs. :)
    He is currently wearing my old down jacket, raincoat, dry-fit hiking shirt and North Face pack (all female versions).

He is very lucky I don't like pink!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

if it fits … thats all that matters

on another note … why cant men wear those tight yoga lululemon, especially the recalled ultra sheer ones … seems like the perfect
    "base layer"

;)

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

what happens if you wear gators and crocs at the same time?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I had a friend many years ago who used a women's model of one of the earlier TNF internal frame packs. He worked for TNF and was a medium to smaller build guy and the women's pack model of (Scirocco maybe?) fit him better. luckily I think the outwardly visible difference was the ladies models came in yellow and blue instead of red and black. Did not look at all like a pink or baby blue model might look today. Most never knew, but he clued me in when we were discussing pack fit.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Women's packs should be a bit narrower in the shoulders, more "s curve" in the shoulder straps, and a more cone shaped hip band. I would expect the torso sizes to be a size smaller than a mans equivalent. All flagrant generalities or course.

If he asks about the pack making his butt look big, act like you didn't hear and/or change the subject. :)

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

on another note … why cant men wear those tight yoga lululemon, especially the recalled ultra sheer ones … seems like the perfect
    "base layer"

Ha! At 245 lbs and out of shape, I pity the poor souls that would see me hiking in these, especially the ultra sheer ones. I definitely would become a solo hiker…

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

For my first "lighter" pack I used a a women's golite quest for a while. I have a smaller frame and it fit better. Worked great. Most of the cottage manufacturers cater to smaller people so I don't really worry about it now.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You can, but you better not admit it ; )..kidding.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I've used a women's bag before.
    If it fits, it fits.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

" Women's packs should be a bit narrower in the shoulders, more "s curve" in the shoulder straps, and a more cone shaped hip band. "

yes. and the cone shape is a godsend to those of us guys with kinney butts.

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I think it may make a bigger difference in packs with heavily padded waistbelts and internal frames. But how many times have men tried on or purchased a men's pack in a certain model that didn't quite fit them right anyway? I say if it fits and the colors are either nondescript or you don't care, go for it.

I myself own a Golite Pinnacle in women's that I got last June because it was in between model years and they happened to post up a size large for a deal. I did however opt for the black, so it looks no different anyhow.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Thanks for the advice. I tried to test out a pack in the local EMS today, but they only had smalls and I am definitely a medium. The search continues…

I own Women's rain pants and a pair of women's Under Armour tights, but I hate the tights. The rain pants are great!

Women's gear sometimes goes on sale with a vengeance, more so than men's gear. I think either women are more picky on colors and fit, or outdoor companies are overestimating the amount of women there are out there hiking. I hope it's the former.

Anyways, I need a heavy-duty hauler so I will probably pick up a Gregory Deva 70 this summer and report back if it fits or not.

Cheers!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Keep looking. Once you have your kit dialed in, you can come to Palm Springs to visit me and my wife. You will fit in with the local parties and can cross-dress to your heart's content. But if you wear nylons, you should probably shave your legs.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

If you think the AT through Maine gets thick, you should see my calves.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Two words…

high heels

:)

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

If it fits you, carries your load and does not make you ache at the end of a long hiking day..then yes, why not use a "women's pack" ?

I put it in quotes because it is still nylon, straps and a hip belt at the end of the day.

Oddly enough (?), you don't see too many women asking if they can use a men's pack.

Women tend to be more intelligent than most men and just use a pack that works. :)

(Though, admittedly, Mrs Mags does like a pack they is not festooned with duct tape, nor wear hiking clothes from the surplus store and somehow manages to look "fresh as a daisy" after three days of backpacking where I look like insta-hiker-trash with little to no effort the moment I step on the trail)

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Paul, be honest, you looked like hiker-trash before you got into the car for the drive to the trailhead. Most of us do…

If it works, it works. I found color choices grow on you if the function is better than an ill performing but better looking alternative. Would you come to love the pink and grey primer spotted ferrari enzo or prefer a sleekly polished toyota tercel that needed a new tranny (pun sadly intended)?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools