Topic

HMG 2400 or 3400

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG 2400 or 3400

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    scree ride

@scree

Is the carrying weight similar?

David Ure

@familyguy

No, the 3400 has the same shoulder harness and belt from the 3400 Porter, whereas the 2400 Windrider has thinner padding and a less aggressive belt.

scree ride

@scree

not blank

David Ure

@familyguy

; )

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

I'd confirm that with HMG… When I was buying mine, Mike told me the only difference between the two was a longer collar, and about 50 grams… Hence I bought the 3400, for 'just in case' situations. This was around three months ago.

scree ride

@scree

I guess my question would be, is it better to overload a 2400 using the auxiliary back pocket and maybe a top bag from Zpack, on occasion, or to under load a 3400? or a 3000 from Zimmer?

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

The answer to a new pack question, is always Chris Zimmer. His build quality is outstanding, his ability to translate what you want on paper to a pack is incredible, he is very easy to work with, and his prices are fair.

I have had two Zimmer packs. The only thing I can see being a problem, is if you have not had enough experience with a pack to dial in your specific needs. You have to know exactly what you are looking for, because he is going to build exactly what you ask for.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I'd confirm that with HMG… When I was buying mine, Mike told me the only difference between the two was a longer collar, and about 50 grams"

From HMG:

"Hi David,
    > Sorry about the confusion! The hipbelts on the Porter 3400 and WIndrider 3400
    > are the same. The only hipbelt that is different is the 2400 Windrider
    > which is a bit thinner than that on the Porter.
    > Regards,
    > Justin"

Go with the larger pack. It is only taller so the top extension collar can me rolled down nicely or extended for longer trips. It will also keep heavier items against your back rather than hanging away from your center of gravity in a front pocket.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I bought a 3400 Porter, received it in the mail, put everything I'd need for a shoulder season trip, PLUS a bear canister and there was still room inside! It's massive, the extension collar really holds a lot. I returned it for a 2400 Porter (same frame, suspension, belt, etc), and got the rear accessory pocket. Much better size, and it still has tons of room inside with a bear canister. The problem for me was that the 3400, when not packed very full, wanted to roll down far below the top side compression strap. It just didn't seem very efficient (nor did it look very good…ha), and I knew that I would never need that much space, especially with the accessory pocket.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Tighten the bottom and middle side compression straps before filling the pack. You'll have less depth to deal with so you can fill the pack higher. The HMG packs (in my experience anyway) carry much better if the load extends above the top of the shoulder straps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools