Topic

Lightest, cheapest mug?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest, cheapest mug?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

In the past, my wife and I just drank out of our BPL Firelite 550 mug after we used it to boil water for FBC. But I'm now thinking of moving to cooking in the pot (and a larger pot), so I'm looking for a separate mug since my pot will be tied up with the food.

My Snowpeak titanium mug weighs in at 31 g on my scale. It has a capacity of 1.25 cups. The great thing about it too is that you can use it as a measuring cup of sorts (although it doesn't have gradations on the side). I could trim off the handle maybe, and get it down to around 1 oz.

Is there anything lighter out there, maybe around 0.5 oz? Something free? I'm thinking cheap disposable cups here. Styrofoam doesn't seem quite durable enough, and I don't like the stuff (it's not healthy).

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Those Mac N' Cheese cups work good. It's small enough and it can fit inside a pot and it has a single graduation line inside the cup that you can use for measuring.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

coffecup

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

I use cola can cup. It's 330ml which is enough for me for 1 hot drink. It weigh 25 gram. I made a cozy for it out of some sort of microfiber cloth. The cozy is 5 grams. This keep my drink hot for very long time. Much longer than regular porcelain mugs.

Very easy to make: just cut with the can opener the top of a can.
    For me it is also easily disposable cup, since I make another for 1 minute for free.
    Very convenient to drink out of it!

In two words: highly recommended.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

But beautiful.

Will likely bring more joy and style to your life than a piece of disposable plastic.

Teacup. by Shoji Hamada

Just sayin'. :)

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Is lightest non-disposable ootion. Just use your SP to measure AND as a mug and get a 1.6 oz. SP Bowl (for sale on their web site with and without a handle) to boil your water. I usually just use an 850 or 700 for everything, but their are times I schlep a 2,4 oz 450 ti cup when I think their might be a call for a handy brverage at all times (i.e., winter hot drinks and summer libations).

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

The small easy-mac microwavable mac and cheese is it.

0.45 oz and plenty strong, with a layer of insulation so you can hold hot coffee in your hand. Its made for hot liquid.

I usually take a small 8 oz styrofoam cup in my cook pot. 0.1 oz. though.

Tried the campbells soup, heavy with metal rim and plastic lid.
    Also seems impossible to get soup smell out of . Nasty.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have been using the "Generic 1 cup capacity Ridged Flat bottom aluminum can" from zelph. It is really about 1.5 cups.

I made a reflectix cozy, so it is prolly a little over 1 oz altogether.

I don't know if he still sells them, but he will likely give you one if you buy something else.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Reusable plastic Starbuck's cup, 1.6 oz. Just $1.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools