Topic

Patagonia Nano Puff alternative?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Nano Puff alternative?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    James Ayres

@scrivner

Locale: Southern Turkey

Could anyone suggest an alternative to the Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket? Iā€™m looking for something that packs as compactly and weighs no more, offers the same amount of insulation, but costs less.

Thanks in advance.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If a small fits you (only one left)… then this one could work.

http://secondascent.com/mens-clothing/jackets/insulated/outdoor-research-fraction-pullover.html

Large comes in at 13oz, so the small would probably be 10-12 oz range.
    Uses Primaloft Sport though, so very slightly less warm, but better when wet and greater durability.

James Ayres

@scrivner

Thanks, but I'm looking for a XXL and a L

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Lands End sells a primaloft jacket very similar to the Patagonia Nano Puff. I just picked up a Nano Puff for myself on sale for $120 last month. My son really liked it and asked for one for himself, but because he loses jackets all the time, I looked around for an alternative.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-primaloft-packable-jacket~246232_59.html?sku_0=::BLA

It's very similar to mine. Annoyingly so since it cost $89 list. Lands End had a 40% off sale last month so I got his for $55 shipped.

Join the Lands End mailing list and get additional discounts.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Likely imperceptibly less warm (hood will likely make it warmer), but a lot less weight (~6oz less) and money:
    http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-thermostatic-insulated-hooded-jacket-mens

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

Joe,
    is the shell material durable or easy to tear?looks great except no hood but 100g of primaloft makes this a micropuff and without a hood!Must be hella warm.Special is still on til 5 13 with promo code.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

I picked up one of these last year, and really like it. Very warm and light. They tend to run a little small, in my experience.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-anorak-mens

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Seems well made but we haven't had it long. I expect it to hold up.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

There's this, from LL Bean: (I have the pullover but there's a full-zip model too). It's great.
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68427?feat=ascent%20packaway-SR0&page=ascent-packaway-pullover

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Check out Montbell – they have a lot of insulation options as well. I have an Ex Light in XXL and love it.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

The MEC Uplink Jacket is much, much cheaper and 3oz lighter, but it uses 40g/m2 insulation instead of 60g/m2 used in the Nano Puff Jacket. Still, worth a consideration. My understanding is when the hooded version is available (it currently is not), it comes as 60g/m2.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

BTW, I tried a few other ones (synthetic insulation jackets), didn't like them. Nano puff I loved. Found it on sale at backcountry.com for $120.

James Ayres

@scrivner

Thanks to all. I didn't know there were so many alternatives. Looks like I have some shopping to do.

I guess I should have asked how the Nano Puff type of insulation compares to down. Maybe that's another thread.

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I got the same linked mountain hardwear off steep and cheap for low $. It's a nice jacket but the sleeves are oddly a little short. I have other MH gear and the same size fits better than this coat. I still wear it a lot and just deal with the short sleeves. It's only the sleeves… Everything else is perfect!

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The armpits and chest are a little tight when used as a 'belay' jacket as well, over a softshell and a cap 2 baselayer. I sized up to a large (10.6oz), and it fits great – both sleeve length and chest room. It's a bit long now, but that's not a problem at all (almost preferrable).

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

they have an LE store in Sears and i saw the jacket there today.It looks nice,well made and the shell seems a little more tough than the nano.
    Thankfully i had the chance to try it on instead of buying online and getting a surprise.

They only had a Large and the thing was very huge.I am 5 11,175 lbs :the chest and shoulders were super baggy but the bottom was somewhat tapered.The neck area was massive and flopping about.The arm cuffs were also massive-they had the elastic thing but you had to have wrists as thick as a loaf of bread for them to work.
    I saw the size number as 42-44…not sure but i think that is an xl not large.
    The medium is stated as 38-40 which is normally too small for me.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

The Lands end website has measurements for size if you have questions. My son is 5'7' slight frame and the medium fits nicely.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

A windshirt and light fleece like 100w, R1, or Power Stretch make an excellent and IMHO, a superior alternative to a Nano Puff. The combination is warmer, more breathable and much more versatile.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I wouldn't hike in a fleece and windshirt unless it was below freezing. I wouldn't hike in a Nano Puff as it won't breathe well enough.

I often hike in a base layer and windshirt and add the mid layer fleece (R1 or Power Stretch level) for rest or camp use. If it is colder than that, I would graduate to a 100g fill garment like a First Ascent Igniter or Patagonia Micro Puff.

IMHO, the 60g garments like the Nano Puff and Mont Bell Thermawrap don't cut it. They are too close to duplicating a windshirt, which I am already packing, and I can use the windshirt plus the fleece mid layer in many combinations.

You can add up the weights and volume, but it's not a spreadsheet decision. It has to work on the side of a cold wet mountain.

My large size Nano Puff (that fits like an XL) weighs 12.6oz

Other items for comparison, all mens XL:

Houdini 4.4oz
    EMS Power Stretch Hoody 13.8oz
    R1 jacket 14.2oz
    Marmot Power Stretch vest 7.8oz
    MEC Power Dry (like R1) vest 7oz
    REI Revelcloud vest 10oz
    Military Gen III fleece jacket (like R3) 19.4oz
    Generic Polartec 200 jacket 18oz

Going back to my Houdini/R1 combo:

* It weighs 6oz more than the Nano Puff
    * I can wear each separately or together
    * I can wear the fleece with my rain shell and still have some breathability (try that with a Nano Puff)
    * The R1 is excellent for sleep
    * Adding a fleece at a rest stop will allow me to continue to shed excess moisture/perspiration where a Nano Puff would trap it.
    * Wet weather performance of the R1 is excellent, not only with the ability to retain some insulating quailies when wet, but also the ability to transport perspiration from base layer and out to wind or rain shell.

BTW, I would be using the Power Stretch hoodie more often, with even more coverage at less weight than the R1. I feel that the two fabrics are close as far as warmth.

Bulk issues are mentioned with fleece. The lighter versions are more compressible than the classic 200W stuff. An R1 or Powerstretch jacket will pack in around the other items in the top of my pack, or carried under the lid where I can access it quickly for a rest stop.

Vests make for excellent summer insulation alternatives or even cooler with long sleeve base layer tops. If you want to save weight and volume, vests provide good core warmth at minimal bulk.

Note the REI Revelcloud vest at just 10oz. It is more breathable than the Nano Puff and from everything I can see, it has more loft as well ( the fill weight is not published). If you must go with light/thin lofted insulation, I think this makes a good or better alternative to the Nano Puff when used with a wind shell and long sleeve base layer.

Ultimately, I think these thin shelled/lofted garments are a failure in cold wet, high humidity environments. They won't transfer moisture and can't be worn while active. Layering a shell and light fleece mid layer can be far more versatile and even warmer at the cost of a few more additionsl ounces and a bit more bulk.

I think the stumbling block comes in thinking of the lighter lofted garments as "demi" versions of the classic belay jackets, which they are not as they aren't used in the same conditions, notably sub freezing and dryer.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

If you're going to sweat, sweat into fleece — it's more breathable and retains insulation better when wet. If not (strolling, camping, being pulled by dogs, whatever), go puffy.

Possible exception for the new Primaloft Alpha filling, which is designed for breathability rather than maximum warmth per weight. Not sure about that, it's too new.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools