Topic

Synthetic puffy vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Synthetic puffy vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I don't want to wear out my welcome on this forum, but I have received great advice here.

I am allergic to down feathers. I am looking for a synthetic vest as an insulating layer. Light weight and rugged are a plus. A hood is not necessary, as I have a wind-breaker. (marmot precip). I currently use a micro-fleece as an insulating layer, but for the weight and loft a vest may be more efficient.
    Thanks for your help.

Dave

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Patagonia's micro puff vest. It has a full zip now, mine from a few years ago has a half snap.

Integral Designs has the Logan Vest.

And, BPL will be offering to the public this Summer a Cocoon vest.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

Are you looking for an insulation layer to wear while winter hiking, or something to add for rest stops/camp/sleeping? Assuming the latter, Patagonia's Micropuff is available in a pullover and zip vest. It's sturdy enough, since you're not going to be bushwhacking in it. It's also generously sized, so you can put it on over other clothing. Bozeman Mountain Works has the Cocoon in a vest as well as several other styles. Some might be available on BPL soon if they aren't all pre-sold. You might consider a sleeved jacket instead of a vest. They don't weigh that much more and they provide more warmth. My Micropuff pullover always goes with me.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

Check the reader reviews under sythetic insulation clothing or read any of the numerous gear reviews on the site.

I like the Patagonia Micropuff vest, although they increased the weight on the recent model.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I just received my micro puff vest today. The vest fits well and is extreemly light. I'm sure it will serve me well. Thanks for the advise. I found it fairly cheap at Altrec.com

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools