Topic

Need a new camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Need a new camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I need a new camera. My current camera is an Olympus Tough 3000. And I'm tired of the sacrifices I make in image quality to get a waterproof camera.

I'm not a professional I just want a point and shoot that is going to take better pics then the Olympus for less then $200. Here are features I'd like
    -SD Card
    -Same battery as the Olympus
    -Greater then 3X zoom (not a deal breaker but nice)
    -Pocket sized or close to it, i.e. not a DSLR
    -Good at landscapes
    -Good in challenging lighting conditions
    -I can live with JPEG only

Any ideas?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I like the Panasonic ZS series — a big zoom in a tiny camera, with image stabilization and a wide angle lens. The ZS 19 is about $250 at Amazon. Decent image quality for such a small camera. The IS helps with challenging lighting situations, though of course that's limited by the sensor size. I often hike with the ZS1 that I got at Costco maybe 4 years ago for a hundred bucks. It does a good job for a p+s.

These days it seems every new model takes a new proprietary battery, so I doubt it will take your old batteries.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Okay lets clarify my goals to the essentials.

1. I cannot spend $400 on a camera. Ideally less then $200. I could go a bit higher but I need a really really good reason too.

2. I like to keep my camera handy and take lots of pics. So I don't want a hugh DSLR around my neck. If it fits in a pouch on my hipbelt that is small enough, it doesn't have to be tiny.

Rick
    The Olympus is a waterproof camera so my understanding is it won't be as sharp as a non waterproof with similar specs. It doesn't handle challenging lighting conditions well. If its a bit overcast or there is a bit of blacklight my pictures suffer. For example taking a picture of mountains when the sun is not right behind me is hard, pictures in a forest are hard, and even when lighting is good I don't feel its as sharp as my old Nikon P&S.

I've been looking at the Nikon Coolpix P310 pretty seriously. A lot of people compare it unfavorably to the Canon S100 and Sony RX100. Maybe they are right but I can't afford those right now. If they are comparing it to the RX100 and S100 does that mean its at least closer to those two then other P&S? Is that the best bang for my buck at this point?

The Nikon Coolpix S6300 is getting good reviews, its affordable and I like the 10X optical zoom. That could come in handy if I want to photograph a critter from a ways off. What does the Coolpix 310 have that the Coolpix S6300 doesn't?

Ken
    I checked that Panasonic out. Looks cool, any idea how it would stack up against the others I mentioned.

Thanks for the

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks Rick I'll check into those ideas. I have a camera stand I haven't used so I'll go do some comparisons tomorrow and see how that works. I'll see about the ISO and HDR.

At this point the only camera I'm seriously looking at would be the Coolpix P310 because it is a $400 camera with good reviews for $180. I'm guessing it will be a bit better then the Olympus but maybe I'm wrong.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I'd look at a used canon s90 or s95. There's lots of great deals on cameras that people just try out or move on to the newest model.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Rick how did the sensor hurt the P310? Considering the deals I've been seeing it looked pretty tempting. Getting the "best" is nice but it may be that even with its problems it would be an improvement over what I have.

Brenden I was a bit leery of used cameras but I might give it a try, there are some tempting deals there.

Thanks for the help guys. Its kind of bewildering shopping for a camera with so many options. Last time it was easy, the Olympus was the only waterproof camera I could afford.

Tomorrow I'm going to go out and take landscape pictures with my Olympus and my grandfather's DSLR. I'll take side by side picture's with both for comparisons. I'll also try Ricks suggestions for the HDR and ISO. I did realize that at some point my ISO was switched from "Auto" to "High" not sure how long it has been there. Hopefully that explains some of the less the ideal pictures I've had in the last year or so. Maybe that will clear things up and I won't need a new camera (which would be nice).

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Okay thanks a lot for the tips Nick. I've been reading reviews of the cameras you recommended. The Canon Elph 330 looks pretty good right now. The Olympus on the other hand was getting reviewed as below average for IQ so perhaps and upgrade would be worthwhile.

According to one review the P310 is okay but if you don't need manual controls the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 is better, and then in a later review they said the Canon PowerShot Elph 330 HS was even better then the the Sony.

So it sounds like the main appeal of the "Enthusiast" cameras is the manual controls plus larger sensors in some of them but NOT in the P310. So it sounds like the only advantage of the P310 over the Canons is its manual controls (which I don't need). Am I understanding this right?

Well I gotta head for bed soon. I really appreciate the help.

Edited for clarity

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

"I checked that Panasonic out. Looks cool, any idea how it would stack up against the others I mentioned."

The image quality output of most P+S cameras is about the same. There may be minor differences (the folded 90-degree optical path of the zoom lens in most waterproof cameras is one negative), but when it comes down to it, they are P+S cameras. The enthusiasts start looking at raw files, slightly faster aperture specs, slightly large sensor sizes, etc., always searching for a compact camera that gives them output closer to a DSLR or interchangeable lens compact with a much larger sensor. (Ain't gonna happen. All of this is just diddling around on the margins — any serious increase in image quality is going to require a larger and more expensive sensor/camera.)

I always recommend optical image stabilization and some sort of wide angle zoom lens. Beyond that, buy what you want, based on the size of the camera, the price, zoom range, whatever. If you see a camera that you like, but it's a little too expensive, there is almost always a previous model that is 95% as good for half the price. As long as you get I.S. you can pretty much go to Costco and grab any random P+S and get decent results. Seriously.

I'll happily carry my old Panasonic P+S on hikes. If I want greatly improved image quality, then I'll have to grab a larger, heavier, much more expensive camera out of the locker, but that sort of missed the point for the kind of hiking I do (which is to get away from photography for a while, natch.)

Gary Yee

@lakemcd

Locale: NW Montana

Do some research on the Panasonic LX7. It has a larger 1/1.7 sensor. Very sharp and fast f/1.4-2.3 lens with a range of 24-90mm. The 24 end is a wonderful focal length for outdoor compositions. The image stabilization is top notch and combined with the fast lens you can get buy fairly easily with staying out of the 800+ iso range. In camera panoramic and HRD. The camera could be found easily for under $300 on the internet.

At the $300 price range that would be my pick.

A good place to research this would be the panasonic forum at seriouscompacts.com

Best of Luck.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I have an older PanaLeica compact that takes great pictures from a tripod. Small enough to mount on a shoulder strap. Okay optical zoom. Great low light performance at iso100 off a tripod. Good enough exposure control for full moon shots of peaks, meteor streaks, and stars. I get about 750 shots per charge. Good low light movie performance. Some iso and shutter control for image control , but the sensor is tiny and it can't do that much, it's best at postcard type landscape shots.

It's used. It has a lens cover quirk, where it doesn't always open all the way. I can point you to some shots and movies I took using it on my Flickr account.

PM me if interested.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

If you are wanting to move up from a standard point and shoot, look at getting one of the slightly larger sensor'd versions (canon S100, Panasonic LX7, etc.)

Both the S100 and the LX7 are great cameras. for the reasons pointed out above, the LX7 would be my go to. its $300 new from BHphotovideo, you can use 37mm filters on it without an aftermarket kit, it has a fast lens, a better sensor than most point and shoots. it also has a hot shoe for an external flash or other accessories that might come down the road if you want them.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Ted
    Thanks for the ideas. Right now $200 is my limit so the LX7 isn't an option. Summer hiking season is coming up (and with it the need to save gas money) so I may but the P310 or something similar IF I determine is an improvement over the Olympus Tough 3000.

However if I don't think a cheaper PS will improve much I'll wait and get the LX7 or S100 later. Thanks for the input.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

A Panasonic LX5 can be found used for about $200. Add a conversion lens adapter and a clear UV filter to protect the lens from sand and dirt getting into it.

You don't get as much zoom as some other cameras but I find I want the wide angle more often than the zoom when I am hiking.

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i didn't think there was that big of a deal between point and shoots at first. i went from a Sanyo S670 (terrible in all respects except battery life) to a Pentax K100D (good, but too big to be practical for me) to a Sony DSC-W200 (much better than the sanyo, but still lacking) to a canon S100 (very good) to a sony RX100 (excellent camera). Of those, I still own the K100D and the RX100. now that i look back on my old photos i took with the Sanyo and the W200, i wish i would have had a nicer camera to remember those trips by. YMMV.

a nicer camera will also drive you to become a better photographer if you're willing to learn how to control the camera more beyond Auto. i found this website to be very useful for learning the basics.

http://freephotocourse.com/online-photography-course.html

BTW, i stormproof my camera the easy way, a ziplock freezer bag (they're thicker than standard ziplocks). Its definitely not waterproof, but i don't see myself going snorkeling with it anytime soon.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've never regretted spending what seemed at the time to be too much on a camera (within reason, of course).

In the 1970's I purchased a very nice Rollei 35LED. Years later I realized I'd spent almost 20 times the cost of the camera on film and development. The Rollei worked fine, but for not much more I could have purchased a better model with next to no impact on the overall cost, and probably gotten better pictures (maybe).

Nowadays film and developing aren't part of the equation. In fact about the only consideration is how long until you just can't resist buying a new camera since the new ones are so much better than the one you bought just 5 years ago.

I've decided to go for a Sony RX100 (to replace my great but slow and somewhat heavy Canon G5). The RX100 currently costs about $575 new, a lot less used, but still a lot more than you mentioned. But it got such great reviews, and probably will take much better pictures than a $200 camera, you might consider moving up.

I guess it all depends on how much you expect to use the camera and how important picture quality is to you.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've never regretted spending what seemed at the time to be too much on a camera (within reason, of course).

In the 1970's I purchased a very nice Rollei 35LED. Years later I realized I'd spent almost 20 times the cost of the camera on film and development. The Rollei worked fine, but for not much more I could have purchased a better model with next to no impact on the overall cost, and probably gotten better pictures (maybe).

Nowadays film and developing aren't part of the equation. In fact about the only consideration is how long until you just can't resist buying a new camera since the new ones are so much better than the one you bought just 5 years ago.

I've decided to go for a Sony RX100 (to replace my great but slow and somewhat heavy Canon G5). The RX100 currently costs about $575 new, a lot less used, but still a lot more than you mentioned. But it got such great reviews, and probably will take much better pictures than a $200 camera, you might consider moving up.

I guess it all depends on how much you expect to use the camera and how important picture quality is to you.

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Well all I to was looking for a decent camera also that I would take on a trip. As of late I have been leaving them at home and letting others take the pics. I now realize for what ever reason I like looking back on my photos of a trip and sharing them, especially if an area or event that few see. So taking the advice from the above posts on the tech. aspects of a camera and a purchase that hurts a bit I pulled the trigger on a LX7 on eBay. I recently in the last 5 months have sold a bunch of old camera gear on eBay and look at buying and selling on eBay as no big deal, not every bodies cup of tea. If it is a good price and one does not loose there head in the bidding process it can be like renting something for a while, play with it for 6 months and if you do not like it sell it. So thank you all for helping me narrow down my pick as the choices were bewildering and am looking forward to an enthusiasts camera my first since my 21/4 days of old.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks for the advice ya'll.

As an update I ended up buying a P310. I had several reasons for this choice.

First I tried some of the tricks Rick mentioned. I did get better images but still not as good as I used to get with my old Nikon P&S.

Second with a trip coming up I needed to make a decision and order something now or risk not getting it in time. I know the Nikon will work and I'm used to that brand. Its a safe option to get me through this summer.

Aaron W
    BPL Member

@adw245

Locale: Chula Vista

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am in the same boat. I need a camera for an upcoming trip. Locally I can get a Panasonic lumix zs25 for $229.00 with a 16g memory card. I just wanted to get your take on it.

Thanks for your help.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Sorry I can't say much about that camera Aaron

As an update on my camera situation, I talked to knowledgeable gentlemen and Wolfe Camera and he said the Nikon P310 is about as good as you can get before you make the jump to $400 cameras.

I took it to Wyoming this summer and in my opinion it took way better pics then my old Olympus. Not perfect mind you, its still possible to create blurry images but I got some shots that I know would have been bad with my old camera. I'm happy with my choice.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools