Topic

Midwest Hikers (Ice Age Trail)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Midwest Hikers (Ice Age Trail)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I'm looking for some info on the ice age trail. If anyone has been here before, please contact me. I'd like to talk with someone about some questions I have.

[email protected]

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hi Nate,

I'm pretty sure the IAT had a booth at the Midwest Mountaineering Expo … did you speak to them.

Their website: http://www.iceagetrail.org/home

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

Yes. I did. They didn't know anything. They told me to direct my questions to the NCT booth. They wanted to play trivia questions for raffle tickets.
    The people at the booths were clueless.

I'm concerned because I've read that there is no camping on certain sections of the trail. I don't understand this.

I was hoping to start at the st Croix state park area and do about 40 miles in a weekend.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

There are sections, many of them in fact, that do not allow dispersed camping. Some sections only allow camping in campgrounds and some sections dont allow any camping.

Nate, PM me your email address and I can send you photos of the St. Croix section map and guidebook. I own the official map set.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Nate,
    I don't have time to send all the photos tonight, (I can tomorrow) but a quick glance of the map shows that if you wanted to START hiking in Barron and Washburn counties which are just east of Burnett and Polk Counties, there is a good chunk of the trail that allows camping along the trail.

I'll post more tomorrow.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

thanks travis.
    [email protected]

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

I'd also like to arange a shuttle/taxi so we don't need to bring two cars. any ideas?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Nate, I sent you a couple of emails with 12 pictures of the first 12 maps of the trail.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nate,Have you read this .

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

Got it figured out thanks to Travis sending me pics of his maps, and the volunteer listed for the Indianhead chapter. He offered to give us a lift to the trail head so we only have to bring one car.

We're going in this afternoon and coming out Sunday.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Glad to see it worked out, Nate! Let us know how that portion of the trail is.

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

Will do. I believe we're scheduled to complete about 30 miles. Anybody been here before? Are there cool things to see?

Nate Boyer
    BPL Member

@nateb123

The trail was in good condition. It was only wet in the lowest spots. We were easily able to walk around these areas. It was well marked and we recieved some great info from Dean (indianhead chapter volunteer). He was very helpful. The trail had lots of variety….thick woods, praire, lakes, rivers, creeks, logging, ups & downs, flats, and all kinds of other stuff.
    We ended up doing about 40 miles over Fri-Sun.

I'd be happy to help out if anyone has questions.
    [email protected]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools