Topic

Tenkara: Can an idiot fish?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara: Can an idiot fish?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

So–I'll be hiking in either the Wind River Range or Yellowstone this summer. I thought it would be fun to try my hand at some Tenkara fly fishing.

However, I have little knowledge with fishing, and NO knowledge fly fishing. Is this going to be an easy feat to achieve how much skill/practice time/gear do I need to catch a fish?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Last winter, I got a Tenkara rod for the holidays. Sadly, it sits forlornly in a corner. I figure it's one of those pieces of gear that I can keep and eventually use, even if not using right now.

Anyway, most everything I read (mostly here, a few tenkara FAQs/blogs) was to start with this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Curtis-Creek-Manifesto-Illustrated-Paraphernalia/dp/0936608064/ref=sr_1_26?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368052815&sr=1-26&keywords=fly+fishing

I can't say whether it has magically made me a decent fisherman (I have fly-fished before but it's been a while), but it is very accessible and easy to understand. It might be a good place to start. I'm sure others will chime in with more concrete advice.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

I've just bought a used copy on Amazon.com…unfortunately my library did not have a copy..

I have done a little more reading and it seems that yes, Tenkara might be one of the more idiot-proof methods of fishing. Hopefully the book will help set me on the right path.

I'm trying to decide if I want to reach for the TenkaraUSA vs. the TenkaraBum kits or..something else? I'm not really sure what I should be considering when comparing similar rods. Are TenkaraUSA rods worth the money?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I went to a tenkara presentation featuring Daniel Galhardo a couple of months ago, and out of ~80-90 people in the audience, I was only one of four who had never fished before. The overwhelming impression I left with was that I would be at a distinct advantage over the folks who western fly-fish. They have so many habits to unlearn in order to adapt to tenkara. The questions asked by the audience focused on equipment, and disbelief that you could be effective with 'a rod, a line and one fly'. Daniel's message was that in keeping the equipment simple, it eliminates self-imposed variables that get in the way of learning technique. The initial learning curve is shallow, but there's plenty to keep anglers challenged – and rewarded – for years to come.

I bought the 12' Iwana starter kit. I'm impressed at the quality, but I haven't compared it side by side with any other brands. I like the TUSA rod warranty and return policy. They reduce and/or remove barriers to entry.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Adrian,you have probably seen this already but just in case you haven't,or you might like this blog.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

A friend is giving me a Tenkara rod. I'm quite excited, can't wait to try it out! I'll check out the book!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

"A friend is giving me a Tenkara rod. I'm quite excited…"

Excited about trying tenkara or about having a friend?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Excited about trying tenkara or about having a friend?"

Since it's my first time for both, I can't decide…..

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Good luck with both.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Try to not become attached to either, Doug–It's all about catch and release, right?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'm thinking about getting one for stream fishing. I love the simplicity. I have fished a lot of tiny streams where a rod and reel setup was just awkward.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Man hold stiff tenkara rod in hand find happiness.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Tenkara rod with too much flex no good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools