Topic

East Coast wilderness hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports East Coast wilderness hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Durham
    BPL Member

@djdurham

I would like to hike in a wilderness area, with as few road crossings as possible for several days. I would like to get in some distance, 80 -120 miles. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    So far the only thing which springs to my mind is doing the AT in North Carolina. I can get the distance, but, maybe not the wilderness experience.
    Douglas Durham

Jenny Simchock
    Spectator

@framelessbob

Locale: R.D.U

Your best bet would be the Smokies,900 miles of trails. The AT in the park is way overused. The BMT or Bartram trail are other options, but more road crossings

Douglas Durham
    BPL Member

@djdurham

Thank you.The Smokies it is.
    Douglas

Jenny Simchock
    Spectator

@framelessbob

Locale: R.D.U

Welch Ridge[the most remote part of the park],Gregories Bald, Forney and Hazel Creeks,the trail from Mt. Sterling to the A.T, and Roaring Branch are some of my favorites. The brown cover guide is the best for info.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Don't neglect the Mon! Almost in your backyard is the Allegheny Trail, which is over 300 miles long; the southern portion of the trail actually connects with the AT. A particularly nice, secluded section travels 150+ miles through the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia. If you haven't been to the Mon, there are many areas of the forest that offer the kind of solitude it seems like you're looking for, especially Roaring Plains, Cranberry Wilderness, Dolly Sods North, and Canaan Mountain backcountry. The scenery in many parts of these places is as spectacular as it gets on the east coast.

Here's a few links:
    MNF home page: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/index.shtml
    WV HIghlands Conservancy (map links, extensive hiking guide to the entire Mon): http://www.wvhighlands.org/
    WV Scenic Trails Association (complete Allegheny Trail guide): http://www.wvnet.edu/wvsta/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The One Hundred Mile Wilderness section of the AT trail in Maine is true wilderness. No place to resupply AT ALL on that section of the AT.

Hope it stays that way.

Eric

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Actually, the 100-Mile "Wilderness" is crossed by logging roads every 20 miles or so, and there are two resupply options.

One is to have a drop made about half way through, run through Shaw's boarding house. This may not still be offerred since Mr. Shaw passsed away last year, but it might still be available with other workers at the boarding house making the preplanned runs.

The other is White House Landing, a hunting lodge about 68 miles into the Wilderness. You walk a logging road about 3/4 of a mile east to a foot trail, head another 1/3 mile up it to the boat landing, and blow an air horn and a boat comes across to get you. Their food prices are steep, but if you want to reduce the size of your food bag, it IS an option.

But for truly remote terrain with minimal vehicle access, the Smokies are technically more remote, with the longest stretch of trail with no vehicle access (38 miles). I knew 4 hikers on my 99 thru-hike who were day-hiking the 100-mile wilderness with two cars shuttling them.

If you truly want to get away from crowds, go just outside the Smokies into the Pisqah National Forest on the North Carolina side. Here you get relatively few hikers and TOUGH climbing trails in a true wilderness wilderness setting.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

I would like to suggest you checkout the Foothills Trail in SC. 76 miles between Oconee and Table Rock State Parks.
    It's little used and water is plentiful, even now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools