Topic

Rip ‘n’ Go Catskills Weekend Route — Anybody?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rip ‘n’ Go Catskills Weekend Route — Anybody?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

Locale: New England

Hello again (been posting questions all over the shop, this last week).

Do any of you Nor'Easters know of a good Catskills Route that would involve just three days and two nights out, and could avail of buses from and and back to NYC?

I did a portion of the Devil's Path a couple of years back, taking a bus out to Palenville, and walking southwest-ish to a road where I could pick up a bus to NYC going through Woodstock. I don't want to retrace my steps, so if you've any suggestions I'd welcome them. I'll be pouring over maps this evening.

Thanks again!

Tim

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I always take the bus when hiking the Catskills.
    Much easier than taking a car.

The same bus line that stops in Palenville stops at many points in the Catskills.
    I believe there are two or three different routes of buses if I remember correctly and lots of options.

One example, you could start in Palenville and head north from where you left off on the Long Path and get off the trail in Windham or other bus stops depending on how far you want top hike.

There are many options. Get the bus schedules and compare routes to the nynj Catskills maps.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Which bus line from NYC to Catskills?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I always end up taking Trailways, but there may be other lines as well.

I usually google to find out which bus company and then call the bus line to find out other possible stops not listed in their maps/schedules.

In some cases I have either hitchiked or took a taxi(car service) if the trailhead is far from the nearest bus stop.
    Note, I have found it difficult to get a taxi or hitch a ride after dark in a few remote places and so I try to arrange a taxi in advance if I'm going to get off the trail at night.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yes, I see the short line bus also. I am at work untill later tonight, so I can not check my Catskills mapset untill I get home..offhand do any of the maps show bus stops? I dont recall seeing that, but then again I never really looked for bus stops on them. I know the Harriman mapset shows bus stops, so I am hoping the catskill one does also.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I'm pretty sure the Shortline and Trailways web site show the stops, but it doesn't hurt to confirm by phone as these stops do often change and there may be other options that the people on the phone know about, like alternate stops that the driver will make if they know in advance.

You can't always find the stops when you get off the trail and so it's good to know in advance, but you can ask the locals when you get in the general area.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools