Topic

Thinking about buying moccasins as a camp / small stream shoe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thinking about buying moccasins as a camp / small stream shoe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

The leather worker said he could get down to 7 ounces per pair. A little pricey but just did 9 days outdoors and thinking the weight might be worth it. Thoughts or maybe suggestions on better shoes?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Walmart has a new fisherman clog (croc knockoff) that is about the same weight for a pair around size 10..for 10 bucks.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I like moccasins, but Crocs would be better for an occasional stream crossing. With socks I find them comfy enough for around camp or short walks. They are easy to clip to the outside of the pack, and they don't make noise when they are on the pack.

Plus they are cheap.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Sure, why not? The only issue is that leather shoes can be tedious to maintain when they get wet and muddy.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I think it's hard to beat the Walmart croc-offs:

Walmart Croc-offs

Size 13: 10.7oz
    Size 6: 6.7oz

steven franchuk

@surf

Check out Zemgear:

http://www.zemgear.com/collections/360-runners-series/

My brother purchased a pare for cam shoes and he likes them. I tried a par for just walking around town and found I had a bit too much abrasion where the fabric meats the sole. I plan on trying them as cmap shoes this summer. Since then they have introduced the 360 which visually looks like they have redesigned the area where I am seeing Abrasion so hopfully they will last longer. However for camp shoes you won't be putting a lot of miles on them. The 360 are listed at 2.5oz (probably per shoe).

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Yeah but those things weigh like a pound!!! I couldn't believe it…now I just loosen up the tail runners and they're great for around camp. Honestly I don't miss camp or stream shoes, even tho I really, really thought I would.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

Yep, I picked up a set of these Walmart knock offs a month ago. They weigh under 9 oz for my size 13 set and are more secure on the feet than my Crocs.

Edit: They actually weigh 10.8 oz.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Can you just switch to trail runners? Those are comfy enough for camp and they dry really quick if you DON'T get the goretex kind.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I wouldn't buy leather shoes specifically to use in the water.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I like camp shoes for creek walking trips or rainy weather because you have something dry to change into. In those situations you don't really have a chance for your shoes to dry and you get stuck with wet shoes at night. You can put plastic bags over your dry socks, but it's still pretty miserable and cold that way. If your shoes freeze it's painful. I've spent enough time stranded under my shelter because of wet shoes to really appreciate camp shoes.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Tom, are the croc-offs you picked up from Walmart the ones that look like mine, above? If so, it sounds like they've made them even lighter. Not bad. (I dug up my weights and inserted it, above.)

I need to get over there, because my boy doesn't fit in his, anymore. Time to buck up the big 8 dollars!

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

What about vivobarefoot ultra pure's?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Used to use leather mocs.
    They were painful and slippery on rocky stream bottoms, so got them with rubber soles, which made them really heavy.
    And they got heavier still when wet.

But in all honesty, still haven't worked out what to use fording streams when I want to keep my hiking shoes dry. The croc-offs sound pretty good, though, except for the volume. Tried Zems, and while good as camp shoes, were not up to stream crossing by a long shot. Maybe I'll just put a pear of croc-offs in a stuff bag and strap it to the pack.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

"Tom, are the croc-offs you picked up from Walmart the ones that look like mine, above? If so, it sounds like they've made them even lighter. Not bad. (I dug up my weights and inserted it, above.)I need to get over there, because my boy doesn't fit in his, anymore. Time to buck up the big 8 dollars!"

Yes, the same ones. I could have been off as I didnt write down the exact weight (I usually do), but I weighed them alongside my size 11 Crocs and they were several ounces lighter. I'll weigh them again when I get home and post the exact weight.

Edit: Srry, mine actually weighed 10.8 oz. I weighed a lot of other stuff, must have gotten some weights mixed up.

BTW: I did a 6 mile hike in them the other day just to see how they felt as a "minimalist" shoe or as a back up to use to get out should my shoes come apart. They did fine.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Has anyone tried huarache sandals for stream crossings/camp shoes? If they've got enough traction they seem like a really lightweight, albeit pricey, option. The Unshoes Wokova Feather would be easy to slip on and only weigh 3oz.

Adam

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools