Topic

drinking water with silt ok?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition drinking water with silt ok?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Wim Depondt
    BPL Member

@wim_depondt

Locale: The low countries

Dear all,

A potential newby question:

Untill now, I managed to prevent drinking water from glacial rivers. When the water seems dogdy, I use Iodine tabs. But is the silt in water actually a health risk? Here is the idea:

step 1: prefilter glacial water with bandana
    Step 2: purify the water with iodine tabs, maybe dubble charge
    Stap 3: add a flavour tab (somthing I nowadays also do often)
    Stap 4: drink

would this be a feasable option?

Wim

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Some water issues can be regional. May want to check with the local authority to see if there are any know issues with arsenic, etc.

Pre filter yes. If you have the time, you can add a flocking agent like chlor floc or Dave's alum technique.

I live around numerous rivers which are clouded with glacial runoff. I don't even try to drink out of them which isn't a problem as there is an abundance of cleaner water sources to drink out of.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I had silt in my water despite filtering with a bandanna and decanting the clearer stuff. I am still around after drinking but using a coffee filter would have done wonders.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Glacier silt pretty fine for filter

You can let it settle for a few hours

Sometimes the main channel will have silt, but you can find a stream flow that's clear right next to it, maybe you have to walk up or down stream to find a spot.

In general, I don't think glacier silt is unhealthful – it's just finely ground rock

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

But is the silt in water actually a health risk?

no. i do not think it is a health risk. it is mud. mud is dirt and water.
    the water will be ok. the dirt is whatever dirt is. sterile .. mostly.

the closer you are to the glacier, the less questionable it should be.
    the all of us have lapped away at things more likely to a veritable petri dish of germs than silty water.

now..something like the Mackenzie river is a gagg'r to drink. sewage, effeluent. the all of that stuff. i have drunk it (very thristy), and am still here. it was terrible.

but just regular old silty river water … go for it.

the danger of wandering about dried out is greater than that posed by eating dirt. that's just my op.

cheers,
    v.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have found that silt can updet my stomach but I don't expect longer term issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools