Topic

Any ideas for Gatewood Cape bug screen?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any ideas for Gatewood Cape bug screen?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Locale: Adirondacks

I'm considering getting a 6 Moons Gatewood Cape, but I'd like better bug protection.
    Has anyone tried adding a bug screen?
    Or possibly have other suggestions for keeping the ruffians out?

Patrick Baker

@wildman

Dude, its already been done for you.
    Its called the Wild Oasis.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=48

douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Perfect!
    Thanks for opening my eyes to the bloody obvious.
    I'm new to this whole lark, hadn't heard of this before now, come to think of it, hadn't heard of the Gatewood cape before last week either.
    Cheers. You'll never know how much frustration you saved me – I'm lousy with needle and thread!

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

The down side to the Wild Oasis is that you can't use it as rain gear. If you want the dual-use option of the Gatewood Cape, you can add bug protection for another 7 ounces with the Mombasa Defender net: http://www.rei.com/product/728960?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona
    Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore
    Gerald Magnes
    BPL Member

@gmagnes

Locale: Southeast US

shawn
    Does the Mombassa netting protect against noseeums?
    Gerry Magnes

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I would think so. It's a very fine mesh. The few tiems I've used it so far, I'vehad no problems. I'll give you a better report in July after I've finished using the Gatewood Cape and Mombasa Defender on the Tahoe Rim Trail.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Shawn,

How are you securing the peak of the Mombasa Defender to the Gatewood cape? I was on the verge of buying it a while back but was not sure it would work since it looks like the peak needs to be suspended pretty high (69 inches according to the spec). I figured it might work OK if the peak was in the center but it looks like the peak is towards the head end and the gatewood cape is not that hight at that point.

How do you suspend it?

Thanks

douglas girling
    BPL Member

@dgirling

Shawn, thanks for the tip on the REI defender.
    Here's something else I found while stumbling around the six moons site: in the MYOG section: The Meteor bivy. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ultralight/myo_Meteor.asp
    Kind of a fusion between the defender and a bivy sack and may offer a nice combination of bug protection, good breathability for hot nights as well as some semi decent protection from condensation rain splash etc. The weight is given as 10 ounces , but could probably be reduced by using lighter materials and, it does obviate the need for a ground cloth.
    Anyone attempted this project?

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

During an in stock availability email to SixMoons I mentioned to Ron that it would be nice to have a Gatewood Cape with a Wild Oasis mesh. Getting the mesh tucked out of the way while wearing the cape on the trail would be the only problem. I have visions of it getting hooked on every bush and branch.

Joshua Burt

@idroptapul

Locale: The Smokies

Backcountrygear.com stocks the Equinox "Mantis" bug net (4.5oz. no-seeum netting). This one only covers the torso, but integrates very well into my Gatewood setup. Downsides: it's too cramped to sit-up in, and the drawcord seal at the waist is difficult to get tight.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I use my Adventure 16 Bug Bivy in conjunction with my Cape. It works out well and at a 6 oz penatly of added weight it does not kill me. That would be a total of 17 oz. for rain protection and a shelter!!

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

I have the Defender, and the netting it is much coarser than no-see-um mesh. I haven't used it yet, but although it's probably excellent for mosquitos, I doubt it'd "defend" against no-see-ums. Also, the white color makes visibility pretty crappy (black's better). BTW, on my scale it weighs 5.75 oz. in its stuff sack (minus the brass hook).

Tim Kropf

@tkoutdoor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Does the Defender keep out noseeums? Nope it doesn't. I was in at REI looking them over and the holes are quite large. It wouldn't keep noseeums out, nor smaller ants or fleas. I ended up having to briefly solve the problem for the weekend trip with an REI "Bug Hut 1". It weighs about 15 oz, which is not exciting for a long term fix, but it has poles and adds structure around the head and chest so that it was impossible ultimately to touch the sides of the cape in those areas. It has a foot bag that extends out from there. If you use a sleeping quilt this is useful compared to partial coverage netting as it protects the open areas found in a quilt or unzipped sleeping bag. I was also wanting protection from mice as I had experienced them before on this trip and this seemed to solve it. I ultimately will probably velcro on netting for the long term solution. This would help inhibit rain splash/driven rain better that most options. Ron sent me the plans for this along with the cape purchase and recommended the netting that is sold at thru-hiker.com as it is quite a bit lighter than most netting available.

Joshua Burt

@idroptapul

Locale: The Smokies

I wonder if it wouldn't work to insert a grommit at the peak of something like this.Single peaked bug shelter Your trekking pole tip could first go through the grommit of the bug screen and then into the Gatewood harness. It would almost be like a double wall tent at that point.

This particular shelter is from Sea To Summit, weighs 9 oz., and is no-see-um netting.

Tim Kropf

@tkoutdoor

That looks about as perfect as one might get without being tailor made if you're after a full coverage area (quilt users). My recollection for peak height in the cape is at least 42". 48" is stated for the net so that's an okay fit with a little stretching of the offcenter peak or tying off to the pole harness area. If the peak was set higher (doubtful one would want to set it at a full 48" high) then the excess width could get drawn up to make up the difference. Ideally, if it were tailor made it would hang from the center when used with the cape. Since it hangs from an end it would sag over the sleeping bag and be taut at the head. Nothing wrong with that really. Grommet hole or string tied off to peak, either would work. Aside from not being a "perfect" fit or maybe more netting than a tailored fit would offer it looks very workable. The overall width would entice me to draw up the sides to about 3 feet wide or use a wider ground cloth to extend out to 4 feet in areas where mice, snakes, etc. might want to stick their head under the side for a friendly nibble. Rock Creek Outfitters has it for @ $35 & shipping, that's not too bad for a trial purchase. I'd like to hear how it works out if you get one. I might even beat you to it!

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

I have a Sea to Summit that's essentially un-used I'd part with if you're interested. It's actually around 8 ounces if I remember right – I can get an exact number if you want. curt (at) boopants (dot) com

It's nice and exactly what I was looking for, but I've started hammocking and don't think I'll use it much.

-Curt

Edwin Lamberth
    BPL Member

@alfisher

Could you combine this with a tarp? I have tossed around the idea of trying out a tarp. Either that or going to the tarptent. Do you think you'd need a bivy under this thing with a tarp, even if using a synthetic bag?

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

Howdy Curt! I might be interested in that Sea to Summit net if Douglas isn't. Is it noseeum? Thanks, Robert

aaron eshelman
    BPL Member

@djaaronreed

Locale: Central Rockies

Mountain Laurel Designs has their new bug bivy available! Check it out @ mldgear.com

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Did anybody see the NEW bug netting on Mountain Laurel's website? It weighs 5.0 oz with Sil flooring and 3.9 oz with Cuben flooring. AS usual with Ron's stuff … looks REALLY nice and lots of little features. This might be something you could make work ??

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools