Topic

JMT Southbound section in early June?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT Southbound section in early June?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James Block

@jsblock11

Locale: Southern California

This being a very dry year, I was considering hiking from Red's Meadow south to Onion Valley (with a MTR re-supply), ideally the first or second week of June so I can cross paths with a northbound PCT thru-hiking friend of mine at the MTR re-supply. I know normally this would be very early for a trip like this, but could this possibly be done without ice axe and crampons this year? I usually wait until July to explore the High Sierra so not sure what to expect in early June.

I was hoping it'd be possible since I'd finish my hike at Onion Valley rather than continuing over Forester and out to Whitney Portal. I'd be hiking solo and if axe or crampons would be needed then I'd wait a few more weeks to do it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I think you should be fine. I have heard the snow level is at 8000 feet right now. In another month I am sure you would be good to go

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

Browse around this site.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

Your tax dollars hard at work!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools