Topic

What’s so great about the JMT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What’s so great about the JMT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Do it after Labor Day. Cool and crisp nights, less people, beautiful days and so on.

I do not like backpacking in the Indian Peaks Wilderness next door to me here in Boulder because of the crowds, but after Labor Day? Can't get enough of the place.

I have done all but 30 miles of the JMT (stupid me did not go into Yosemite Valley when I did the PCT), but it really is a lovely stretch of trail.

So lovely, that I want to go back to the Sierra…and I live in the Rockies. :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I watched that documentary Mags last night, thanks for sharing it. My desire to hike the JMT has grown more than I thought possible. God it looks amazing.

One criticism of that documentary.

A considerable amount of the film emphasized the physical condition of the hikers, which always seems to be the case with these thru hiking documentaries. Why? Sure, it's physical and relentless, but so much time and energy is spent talking about: blisters, food, pack weight, difficulty, blah, blah, blah…. Let the majesty of the setting speak loudly. Be quiet. Listen. There's still too much command and conquer mentality permeating our recreational outdoor pursuits. I'm guilty of it often and I'm beginning to recognize it.

The most poignant pieces in the documentary were delivered from the phenomenal park historian Shelton Johnson. Such a humble and inspiring individual.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I did the majority of the JMT solo in July many years ago.

"A lot of company" is relative.

You don't have to hike with people, you don't have to sleep where the people are, you can do your own thing. I was amazed at how many people gravitated solely to the well known camping areas, landmarks, and trail junctions only to pitch a tent in a small town. There's a big wilderness out there. Walking as little as 1/4 of a mile off trail can lead you to some real gems and amazing campsites where you will be quite alone.

People seem quite content to follow the herd. Strangely, many of those same people then complain about crowds. Even on something as well known as the JMT, it's amazing what's out there if you dare step off the trail.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Mags said: "Do it after Labor Day. Cool and crisp nights, less people, beautiful days and so on."

Ditto. My wife and I hiked the JMT in September and it was wonderful. Yes, even then it's possible in some areas to find you have to walk on a bit to find a comfortable campsite, but not often, and you don't see all that many people during the day (except the last day up to Whitney and then out the Portal).

We had great weather, my 32F bag was adequate during the nights, we could have cowboy camped all along had my wife been inclined to that. Water was still not a problem. I can't speak to how hard it was to get the permit — we applied and got it. Essentially no bugs.

This year, June might be a good time to do it, BTW. A pretty snowy experience with some creek crossing issues when I did it in June a few years ago, but this year it should be great. Somewhat of a roll of the dice as to when the Mosquitoes get active, however. In June 2008 I made it mostly through before they were much of a bother, so I presume that this year June could be buggier for JMT'ers.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

+1 If you camp with the pack, hike with the pack, and break with the pack, it may seem crowded.

Doing the trail that way is a choice.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

The people in the doc fit that mode, I think, because they are young. Some had beers at the end, and some did not. Guess they are late teens – early 20s?

Many young men at that age have the "command and conquer " mentality. I know I did at times. :)

Not that older men (or women for that matter) can't get it, but it does seem to more present in young males over all.

As far as talking about ailments, that does seem par for the course.

When you are in the moment, you focus on the immediate. Tiredness, hunger, injuries.

it is perhaps only after the journey is completed that you focus on the intangible: The sound of the falls, the smell of the butterscotch from the pines, getting to the top of a pass and seeing forever.

JMO.

re: Shelton Jonhson
    My favorite part, too Eloquent, thoughtful and with an obvious passion for the wilderness.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I'm tempted to badmouth it so people go elsewhere… but most of the JMT isn't very crowded.

It's an iconic trail- I remember being a little kid and marveling at the Happy Isles sign "Mt. Whitney 211 miles". That's why I finally broke down and did it (solo) in 2008; that's why my whole family is doing it this summer.

Four things to consider about the High Sierra:
    1. Ticks. I hate ticks.
    2. Rattlesnakes. When one surprises me it scares me.
    3. Poison Oak. I don't like poison oak.
    4. Rain. I don't mind rain but mud and breaking camp in the rain are a real drag.

Fortunately, the JMT is all above the range of poison oak, almost all above tick range, mostly above rattlesnake range, and it's very rare to have unrelenting rain day after day in the summer.

I did one 10 day trip on/near the JMT that had rain every day, but it was only a couple hours at most. When I through-hiked the JMT I had three bouts of rain lasting less than 1/2 hour each. Most of the trail is well-drained so even in rain, you probably aren't in a mud bog.

Regarding crowds- the ends are very crowded. The northern mile probably sees 3000 people per day, the southern mile 150. Southbound in August 2008 I had one day (Red's to Duck Lake) where I saw only 4 people. Most days I probably saw about 15-20 people on the trail. I camped with other people on purpose 4 times, just once because it was hard to avoid. The other 9 nights I was out of sight or at least across a lake from any other campers.

EDIT: Typos

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Jim, your experience in 2008 pretty much parallels mine. The only places I felt the presence of crowds was at Happy Isles, Tuolumne Meadows, Red's Meadow and Whitney Portal. BTW, did you get a ride from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine with an old guy driving a red Toyoya Pickup on September 7th? If so, that was most likely me.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Part of the appeal of the JMT has to be the absolutely mindless route finding. And yes, it lives up to the hype.

If the JMT was in Idaho it would not be crowded. If the 'Dacks were in Montana you could find parking on a summer weekend.

Thankfully (White Clouds and the SW Bob) they are.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

"High Sierra: A Journey on the John Muir Trail
    http://video.unctv.org/video/2312532075/"

Got around to watching that. Not bad, but whatever Gregory dealer fit them all in too-small packs should be rolled down the north side of Forester Pass. Even with a heavy pack you shouldn't look like quasimodo.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I guess the thing that always kept me away from the JMT was all the stupid posts on all the backpacking forums, BPL included.
    You know the ones:
    What tent should I use on the JMT
    Which is the best stove for the JMT
    What sleeping bag do people bring on the JMT
    What brand of sniffing glue is recommended for the JMT
    and on and on…

It's like the JMT has requirement that are somehow quite different from other trails?

And if you ever read the list of programs that REI and other outfitters put on, a very high percentage of them are JMT related.

I have spent my time around the area and it is nice, but so are many other places, that get much less hype.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I've seen so many pictures of the JMT I feel like I've already been there. Looks like a nice trail but since I don't live in CA I highly doubt I'd bother with the logistics. I'd have to book a flight, get permits, get bear canisters, and rent a car just to hike it. No thanks, unless I was joining a friend I'll stick to other places.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Indeed. I warn everyone against hiking the JMT… it's over rated… ugly… a real PITA… Please, do yourself a favor and hike something else… anything else…

(and leave the JMT suffering… to me :)

bill

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"should be rolled down the north side of Forester Pass"

I would vote for the south side. It's steeper.

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Did you know that much of the JMT is above the treeline? That means no pretty trees and plants to look at. Just ugly rocks everywhere.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

>>Did you know that much of the JMT is above the treeline? That means no pretty trees and plants to look at. Just ugly rocks everywhere.

You jest, but I think I once asked what was so great about alpine…the replies were something like "trees are ugly and block the view of the pretty rocks."

I mean, I get it. I've been above treeline and it's very nice. But like the JMT, I'm not sure the amount of enthusiasm it receives here is quite equal to its splendor.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

>>You know the ones:
    and on and on…

>>It's like the JMT has requirement that are somehow quite different from other trails?

That's part of what prompted the OP, yes. :)

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

>>You jest, but I think I once asked what was so great about alpine…the replies were something like "trees are ugly and block the view of the pretty rocks."

I love forests and wouldn't especially want a strictly above treeline trip, but some of each is nice.

When on bicycle tours I was always happy to see woods, forests, grove, or even single trees after a few days without them on the plains or in the desert. I have never been above treeline for long periods yet, but suspect it will be similar.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

>>You know the ones:
    and on and on…

It's like the JMT has requirement that are somehow quite different from other trails?<<

Yeah, it's a bugger isn't it. Almost as bad as the White Blaze forum. :)

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Many newer backpackers choose the JMT for their first extended trip, so there's a disproportionate amount of threads about it since those newer backpackers have lots of questions. The splendor of the JMT is not affected by how many threads there are about it on the Internet, only your personal perspective.

If you want to feel like you're doing something different, then I would recommend that you do Roper's route instead. You won't see anyone at all. But of course you'll have to look at more of those ugly rocks.

above lake italy

Anonymous
    Inactive

It distracts a lot of people from the really prime stuff. ;0)

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools