Topic

2 nights 3 Days in Kings Canyon Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 2 nights 3 Days in Kings Canyon Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Ingalls

@bingalls1987

Locale: Southern California

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are looking to go on a 2 night 3 day backpacking trip in Kings Canyon? Looking for something simple and not terribly strenuous it's my girlfriends first time in the Sierra's. She has mostly done the Desert and the Coastal Ranges. This Friday morning back to the car by Sunday evening before dark.

Thnx a bundle

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Head into Muir Trail Ranch, there's a ferry and a short hike. Someone else will remember the lake that you park at. From MTR you can head up into the evolution valley. Definitely one of my favorite places. Another option is to hike in from Roads End and head into Center Basin. Relatively easy trail and drop dead gorgeous. A more aggressive trip is the Rae Lakes loop wiphich is 40-45 miles. I like the center basin area better but the Loop my have some attraction.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Someone else will remember the lake that you park at."

Florence Lake.

"the Rae Lakes loop wiphich is 40-45 miles."

No wiphiches were harmed to write this post.

You need to be pushing pretty hard to finish the Rae Lakes Loop in three days. I did, but I regretted it.

–B.G.–

Benjamin Ingalls

@bingalls1987

How far is it from Roads End to Center Basin. Roads End was one of the trips that I was considering.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

About 14 miles will get you to the unsigned junction at the bottom of Center Basin. Plus maybe 5700 feet of elevation gain.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

My iPad makes it hard to get the words out right. From Center Basin you have a few options if you want to base camp and day hike the middle day. Forester Pass and Junction Passes are both within range. My avatar was taken from Junction Pass in the early spring.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

To each his own, but I think it would be nicer to go from Roads End to Vidette Meadow the first day. Then for a second day, dayhike from there to Golden Bear Lake in the Center Basin and return to Vidette. For the third day, return to Roads End.

As I recall, there was one large overnight campsite just south of the unsigned trail junction on the JMT, and there was room for about five groups there.

–B.G.–

Benjamin Ingalls

@bingalls1987

Is one full day long enough to get to the Center Basin for Roads End?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Is one full day long enough to get to the Center Basin for Roads End?"

Only you can answer that.

As I stated, it is about 14 miles from Roads End to the trail junction at the bottom of Center Basin, plus it is about 5700 feet of elevation gain. That doesn't get up up into the Center Basin.

At the last time that I left Roads End, I managed to get out 14+ miles and 5000 feet up to Lake Reflection, and that was by 3 p.m. However, I had started at 6 a.m. while it was cool, I was going solo, and my pack weight was tolerable. Also, I was trying to beat the afternoon rain storm.

Besides, for some people, 5000 feet or 10,000 feet are high enough that they can feel it, and they get slowed down. For others, a day or two of acclimatization will help a lot.

–B.G.–

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

For an easier hike—and a long term relationship with your girlfriend–take a look at Marvin Meadows to Jennie Lake, then over Silliman Pass to Ranger Lake, then to Seville Lake, and back out. Much easier than what you are contemplating…

You could also get to Ranger Lake in a single day from Lodgepole..

The view from Ranger Lake is just astonishing.

There are photos on our website under the SEKI section of the destinations…

backpackthesierra.com

Benjamin Ingalls

@bingalls1987

I think we are going to take off from Lodgepole and get to Ranger Lake and then do some day hikes and relaz on day 2.
    Thanks so much BPL communtiy you guys are the best and helped me out alot with the decision. I am so excited.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools