Topic

tarptent notch?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tarptent notch?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I'm looking to buy a lightweight solo shelter. I like the looks of the notch. High so I can sit up in it and under two pounds. I'm looking to hike out west this summer. Mt robson and maligne lake and maybe denali state park. For notch owners out there do you find it works well in wind? Any problems with full mesh? Do you use a ground sheet.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes, but it is breezy. You can attach extra guy lines. I would opt for the partial solid inner based on where you trek. I use mine in the Canadian Rockies without issue, assuming there are places to stake.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I'll be at dedicated campsites so I assume staking out won't be a problem. Coul I be wrong with this assumption? I'm really waffling on the mesh option. In mountains I can see partial solid being a bonus but in low lying areas a full mesh would be good. Both together cost an xtra hundred and ten dollars. Here's a question does the partial solid reduce ventilation dramatically?

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

"Here's a question does the partial solid reduce ventilation dramatically?"

The goal of the solid is to reduce air flow through the inner and from all accounts it does its job (I have only the noseeum inner so I can't say whether difference is "dramatic").

Just want to clarify, though, that using partial solid inner to reduce draftiness should not affect moisture condensation on the outer "fly", since air flow coming inside the outer is little affected. If anything, there may be less condensation on outer since some airflow that would have gone through the noseeum inner is routed along inside surface of the outer. (Even if condensation on outer occurs it's not a problem because you're in the inner.)

Regardless of which inner you have, if you're pitching in high wind you would pitch the tent lower than usual so its edges come closer to the ground, reducing the total amount of wind that flows through. If no wind at all then pitch it higher so you encourage more airflow through tent.

There is not any problem with the full mesh inner, though, and it is sold as it should be as the standard inner for the tent. Main reasons for wanting partial solid inner would be if you're camping in desert where sand would be an issue or if you're in genuinely cold (e.g., winter) weather.

I don't use a groundsheet and have no problem. Just use common sense and prepare your tent site and avoid areas with especially sharp rocks. Henry Shires, owner of Tarptent, sells Tyvek groundsheets but you can read on FAQ at his site that he doesn't recommend them and rarely if ever has a tent come back for floor repair.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Thanks I think Ill stick with mesh if I order. Im wavering between the notch and ss1. The replies so far have been helpfull, any other insights would be appreciated.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

To many the new TT Moment DW is a version of the walking pole supported Notch, also a double wall tent.

I have an original single wall Moment but am getting a Moment DW with the ripstop inner for less draftiness and 4 season use in western mountains.

The Notch with the (mostly )ripstop interior would answer your needs very well, give you good sit up room and a place for your pack in the front vestibule, to one side of the door.

David Ure

@familyguy

If it had to do it again, I would probably get the SS1 for the extra width.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I've already ordered the notch! Oh well I'll have the lighter weight at least. I was looking for a second tent to the copper spur ul2 and the under two pound goal had me going. I think I'll be happy enough. I had to make a choice . . .

David Ure

@familyguy

Ha! You won't be disappointed. I am tall and fit just fine. And yes, it is lighter (and likely easier to pitch in tight quarters….).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is one of the features I like with the Notch: removable inner.
    This morning was still raining when a bunch of kookaburras announced it was daylight.
    So I got out of my bag , deflated the mat, stuffed my night gear into the pack, pulled the inner down and had breakfast under the fly..
    Fast , easy and dry…
    notch fly only

Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

So Franco, is it safe to say that at least for the moment, (no piun intended), the Notch is your favorite Tarptent?

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

Franco, why is removing the Notch inner better than opening the inner door?

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Joel — The Notch inner takes up only a small percentage of volume within the outer fly. Unzipping the door just makes a small area where the inner doesn't restrict you.
    Removing or lowering the entire inner makes it a lot easier to move around. In other words: lots of volume inside outer fly; not as much inside the inner. (Although I would say, the inner is kind of like Goldilocks size for protected space when you're trying to minimize weight: not too big, not too small, just right.)

Foo Bar
    BPL Member

@schassey

Locale: Bay Area

Are there any plans to offer the Notch fly as a separate item, as Henry has recently done with the Stratospires?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> Are there any plans to offer the Notch fly as a separate item, as Henry has recently done with the Stratospires?

You are welcome to email us a request and I can send you a order link.

-H

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

Herbert, thanks. That's about what I figured.

I imagine that if one made a habit of removing the inner, some sort of small groundsheet or sit mat might come in handy.

I know what you mean about size — the Notch seems to do just what I want and no more (room for a big mat, vestibules for wet stuff and cooking, good ventillation). The only score against it is that I don't habitually use trekking poles, so I'd count two poles in its weight.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Brad :
    is it safe to say that at least for the moment, (no pun intended), the Notch is your favorite Tarptent?

Aesthetically I prefer the Moment but the Notch works very well for me for less weight, so yes…
    Joel :
    why is removing the Notch inner better than opening the inner door?
    It was raining so I wanted to prepare breakfast under the fly as well as pack up and be dressed for the return trip.
    (You could use pretty much any stove under that fly only).
    Can be done with the inner attached but it is faster and easier for me without.
    BTW, makes a nice shelter for two on a rainy lunch break…
    It is also a good way to stuff the inner inside the pack and the wet fly in its stuff sack outside the pack (I have it across the top)

To add..
    Sometimes I see that suggestions on "what can be done" are taken by some as "what should be done"
    I have had the Notch on several trips and this was the first time I took the inner off.
    Partly it was because I am toying with the idea to use it like that and a bivvy this winter, still not sure since I don't really like bivvies but I have made one out of Tyvek that is sitting in a corner getting bored.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

"I imagine that if one made a habit of removing the inner, some sort of small groundsheet or sit mat might come in handy."

I doubt whether you'd need even that. The inner is partly groundsheet already, so just unclip it from the roof, fold it over and sit on the groundsheet part. Alternatively, just lay the noseeum part on top and sit directly on the noseeum with groundsheet underneath that. ZPacks Hexamids use noseeum directly on the ground so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be an issue, just don't wear anything sharp that would snag the netting.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

I'm reviving this thread . . . I've now used my Tarptent notch with the inner quite a bit. I'm now considering using it without the inner. Anyone here use the notch as a tarp often? Do you use just a ground sheet or add a bivy?

I'd rather not add a bivy, as I don't really want to spend the money right now. I may try it out later this summer but was hoping to get feedback before.

I should be going to the sierra in mid August and was wondering if I could ditch the weight of the inner. From what I've read bugs are not to much of a concern at that time of year.

Anyone hike in the mountains with an innerless notch successfully? Any info or comments are appreciated.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I've used the Notch with a ZPacks Solo cuben floor/groundsheet a lot over the past few years, and prefer it to an inner(also brings total weight under 20oz).

It's fine as-is, but having a net inner when the bugs are out, partial solid to use when it's very cold and windy, and a ground cloth for the rest of the time makes for a very versatile shelter.

I've used it without an inner in the mountains in the Carolinas, Tennessee, what pass for them in Alabama and Georgia, and at >12k' in Colorado, and have no pressing desire for something different, if that means anything.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Hi Owen, do you use a flat ground sheet or the fancy bathtub version?

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I have the Solo bathtub floor, but just use it like a groundsheet.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

How do you stake out the two ends at the right distance without the inner for a guide? Just practice and eyeballing it, or do you have to make adjustments to the stake locations?

Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

Love the SS1 much better. Notch is too tapered in the shoulders for me…couldn't move without touching the sides or extend elbows out when stomach sleeping.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Hi Stephen I'm not sure I've ever used the inner as a "guide" to set up my notch. However I'm pretty clumsy, I've never been able to set it up in two minutes. I know I know don't set up the ends too taut to begin with . . . I always wind up having to reset pegs with the inner so not sure taking it away will hurt.

I'll need to test it out but the problem is I won't get to hike until bug season here.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools