Topic

Cuben Fiber – what’s not to like?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben Fiber – what’s not to like?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I may be alone but I love the "high tech" look of Cuben Fiber when used on a well designed UL shelter (l actually like the transluecent appearance and being able to see the fabric weave, much like carbon fiber when used on high end bike frames I prefer to see the carbon fiber weave over say the same frame painted). A poorly designed shelter or one made using less than quality craftsmanship can ruin the look and performance ability of any shelter, but combine a quality material, a great design and top level craftsmanship and you have a winner. For me that material is Cuben Fiber.

In regard to storing the shelter, I designate my packs front pocket for use in storing my shelter along with items such as my ground cover and wind shell. No stuff sack required.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

After reading the previous posts, I can honestly say that these are non-issues for me. The cost is higher than with silnylon, so as a student that can be difficult, but by making careful purchases on BPL I believe I have been able to minimize the cost difference between sil and cuben. The benefits just outweigh everything else for me. I love the look, packability, weight, and non-stretch abilities as well.
    Evan

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Well, I did wake up one night recently and felt like I had a flashlight shining in my face. It was a full moon. The inside of my tent was almost like daylight.

Aside from that, the no-stretch is one of my likes.

Sara
    BPL Member

@sara

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

"I even like that weird chemical smell it has ;)"

I love the smell too!
    I'm glad I'm not alone. :)

Cuban fiber EVERYTHING!

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Some don't like the look of it
    Some don't like the feel of it
    Some don't like the scent of it
    How about the sound of it? Crinkly
    And the taste of it? Slimy

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Agreed, the full moon came up at 2AM and I thought it was the sun. I got up, packed up and hiked. My brain wouldn't accept that it was that early.

I will say that I do like the fact that my pitch doesn't sag in the middle of the night.

I also like the fact that condensation doesn't cling to the surface of cuben the way it does with silnylon or even spinnaker. I end up with a drier bag/quilt in the morning and a drier and lighter shelter in my pack.

I don't smell the cuben anymore. Like knew car smell, it doesn't last long.

I never found cuben to make crinkly noise. That may be an aspect of the very thin versions of cuben.
    I did find my spinnaker shelter to be a little crinkly, but only until it was pitched.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools