Topic

Hemming a patagonia merino shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hemming a patagonia merino shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I have a Patagonia Merino 2 short sleeve shirt. I want to reduce the sleeve length by 1 to 1.5 inches. Any suggestions for how to do this? I have a decent sewing machine but I have only sewed a couple of stuff sacks.

I assume I could cut off the hemmed sleeve by about an inch, but then what? Do I fold the edge of the sleeve back half an inch and then sew it? What stitch should I use?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Mark the end you want for the sleeve – mark it all the way around. Make a second line at least one inch beyond the first. Fold or roll the excess under (inside the sleeve) and pin it. The sleeve end marked line should now be at the end of the sleeve. You can finish it by hand wit a whip stitch, or by machine with a straight stitch. Especially with the second option, try to keep the stitching line near the inside edge of the hem.

I have now showed you the, *ahem* , Hemming Way! (Groan!)

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

I would do a simple rolled hem so there is no exposed cut surface – see http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/diy-guides/sewing-skills/

Matthew Pullan
    Spectator

@skyaddict

Locale: Steiermark

Most modern zigzag sewing machines have special stretchy sitches for hemming wool and other stretch jersey materials. If you have a manual it should have a few suggestions. I recently converted a merino long sleeve into a tshirt and the fancy stitch worked great. My Bernina manual recommends a basic zigzag for jersey material, but there are many other stitches that will do a fine job. That being said, a straight stitch is fine as well.
    Matt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools