Topic

Easton 6″ Full Metal Jacket Stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Easton 6″ Full Metal Jacket Stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Any friends have experience with these stakes? A set of (6) ways 1.2oz–They seam a little pricey but I might just pull the trigger to save a OZ. Are the durable?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jay,

Not to steer you away from carbon, but have you looked at the SMD L Stake? .3 oz/stake, so a total of 1.8 oz for 6 stakes. Biggest difference is the price: six stakes would be $8.40 plus shipping. I'm planning to pick some up soon, as SMD is only a few miles from my house (whenever they have their open house for the new space). These will replace my older Easton stakes, so I'll have a combination of Ti hooks and the SMDs.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Steven, I too use a combo of stakes: 2 MSR groundhogs for ridge-lines and the old school Hi-Vis BPL stakes. I also just got some new Vargo Orange Heads which I like also. I think I would use the Easton's for my tarp sides and not the ridgeline. I will check out the SMD stakes. Thanks!

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

The stakes look like they are sections of Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows cut and then with inserts glued in.

I can vouch for the arrows. I've been shooting these since 2008 and they are the toughest I've ever used.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Define "durable".

If the tips are solid I'd guess they will be OK.

If the tips are hollow-formed you will need to exercise a little care.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Nice link Greg. Durable meaning tough and being able to with stand the Sierras and the Granite plus being pounded in by Granite rocks over and over again. I like the simple Ti stakes but just checking if these Eastons will be durable over the long run? It seems like they could possibly shatter in time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools