Topic

Filtering dirt out of water for Platypus bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Filtering dirt out of water for Platypus bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Hello, I am looking for water filtering ideas to use with my Platypus water bottles. I use aquamira but I am looking for a way to sift gunk out of the water while I am filling the bottle. In the past I have used coffee filters, but they are slow and messy. Any ideas?

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Jonathan, I've been using coffee filters too. But I'm trying Ben's suggestion for my next outing.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/6628/index.html?skip_to_post=47302#47302

His post points to a DIY filter lid on Jason Klass' site. Looks like a great idea.http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/waterbottlefilter.htm

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

thats a perfect idea and just what I was looking for, thanks

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Cheese cloth & rubber band?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I find rubber banding paper coffee filters and cloth bandanas slow and tedious. Metallic mesh coffee filter does a much better job:

Here's what you can do:

1. Find a Platypus screw cap with the center cut out — something like the Platypus Filter link (just the white cap, discard the black and transparent plastic parts):

2. Cut a round piece of the metallic mesh just a tad bigger all around than the above screw cap.

3. Insert the metallic mesh to block the opening of the screw cap from the underside.

Now, when you screw the cap tightly onto any of your Platy bottles, the mesh will block out small debris/sediments.

If you don't want to spend money on a Platy filter link screw cap, many supermarket bottled waters have caps that are compatible with Platypus. You can always get one and cut out the center. Click here for an illustrated example.

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

I have used some of the material from the new style teabags which are made out of fine nylon mesh. They can be found at healthfood stores or gourmet tea places. I cut a piece of the mesh and then cut out the center of a water bottle cap, put the mesh over the opening and screwed the cap into place.

The mesh definitely slows down the water flow. I have since taken to careful filling of my containers before adding aqua mira.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools