Topic

30% off Epicurean Titanium Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 30% off Epicurean Titanium Stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Greetings! Well, we just returned from an extended trip and we were thrilled to see Hikin’ Jim post about dry baking with Bobcat Cooking System using the Epicurean Titanium Stove with Esbit.

Bagel

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=76003

We are glad to see people interested in dry baking. At FLAT CAT GEAR, we developed a particular dry baking technique and you can use this technique with equipment that you already own. Below is a link to a video on how to do this. The trick is being able to tune your stove to a steady 100 watt output. We developed this technique as a safe way to bake when using titanium pots.

http://youtu.be/U39wW7UodMo

biscuit

Note that tuning a stove output can be tricky, particularly when using an alcohol stove. This is due to the thermal feedback from the pot and windscreen (Esbit is far less sensitive to this type of feedback). This is a good DIY project, however; if you are looking for a more turnkey system, we are offering Backpackinglight members 30% off the Epicurean Titanium or Epicurean Titanium UL15 stove through the month of May. Go to our website (www.flatcatgear.com), order your hardware and BEFORE making your payment, add the comment Backpackinglight30%. After your order is placed, I will send you the 30% refund.

Bon Appetit,

Jon

quiche

If you want to see more videos on Dry Baking, here is a YouTube Dry Baking Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7508AB243CEFC86

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Epicurean Titanium on High
    high
    Epicurean Titanium on Low
    Low

Here is some additional information about our Epicurean Titanium Stove for solid fuels.

the Epicurean Titanium Stove

Weight – 14 grams
    Size – 2 3/8” by 2 3/8” by 1 ¼ “ tall
    Materials – Stove body grade 2 Titanium (handle, silicone), Baseplate Aluminum
    Burn Times (Esbit) – ~14 minutes on high / 50 – 60 minutes in simmer/bake mode
    General – In high mode, you can boil 2 cups of water in about 9 minute with a total burn time of ~14 minutes. This is enough to boil 3 cups of 70 F water.

Epi Ti Crown Up

The Epicurean Titanium UL15 Stove

Weight – 7 grams
    Size – 2 3/8” by 2 3/8” by 1 ¼ “ tall
    Materials – Stove body Grade 2 Titanium (handle, silicone), Baseplate Aluminum

The performance of the two stoves are nearly identical. The Epicurean Titanium UL15 Stove was designed to meet the needs of people who count every gram. The stove is in the middle of BETA testing as it is unknown if the weigh differential (7 grams savings) is significant.

UL15

The video link below descibes the difgferences between the two models.

YouTube video

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

Jon,
    I had the pleasure to use a stove of yours for a while on the AT. I liked the ease of setup of the windscreen, and the alcohol stove worked well. The stove was used by someone else before I used it, so I don't know all its history. I stopped using the stove when the windscreen developed a significant hole while I was cooking with the stove in a pretty good breeze. I think the aluminum just got too hot because the wind, even in the sheltered place I was in, blew the flame to the side too much for the screen to take. I would love to buy one of your screens made with titanium. Are you planning to make a titanium screen for your stoves? Thanks for making such a quality product with the well-thought-out details.
    Jim

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Titanium windscreens for the Bobcat System should be completed next week. Titanium windscreens for the Snow Leopard System will be completed in a few months. Send me a PM and we can discuss the aluminum windscreen. Jon

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Monkey Bread

One of our customers recently purchased an Epicurean Titanium stove for use with his Caldera Cone (the stove needs to be elevated ~1/2"). After a few bakes, he started developing a recipe to take out on the trail. His goal is to teach his grandkids about the joys of backpacking and wanted something special to give them as a treat. If you follow the link below, it will take you to our website. On the left hand side, you will see a link that says Monkey Bread. Click on the link to download the recipe. Thank you Kenneth!

http://www.flatcatgear.com/page4.php

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools