Topic

Alcohol Stove Users, Need Your Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol Stove Users, Need Your Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Eric, my Super Cat is made from a Diced Green Chilies can from Albertsons. I have made Super Cat stoves from cat food containers but the chilies can worked best for me. It also holds more fuel.

Weights for the cook set are below:
    stove – .9 oz
    wind screen – .6 oz
    reflector – .1 oz
    tea tin – doesn't measure
    1+ quart pot with bike spoke bail – 4 oz
    tight inverted lid – 1 oz

total 6.6 oz

Everything (stove stuff, fork, spoon, scrubbing pad, lighter) fits nicely in my circa 1960s aluminum pot with inverted lid.

Cookset

On top of the pot is my bear bag hanging outfit: nylon stocking rock sack, BPL Bear Bag Hanging Cord, and carabiner that came with my Montane LightSpeed jacket.

The red bag holding everything together is an apple sack.

Also included is a mini muffin tin I built from a beer can. Thought I would try out the infamous Mike Clelland! muffins :)

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Wish I had some data on that time . . .

My standard meal prep is to boil a quarter of water, and I've never had a problem doing so with my alcohol stoves up to 11,000 ft (haven't tried any higher than that). Here are a few entries from my "stove log". They should give a general idea of alcohol stove performance. All tests were performed at sea level, measured 1 liter of water, aluminum pot (5-6" dia.; Mirro Gease Pot or equivalent), 70* water, with lid, homemade windscreen, outside with light breeze, S-L-X Denatured Alcohol. "Rolling boil" means full rolling boil, not just steam and bubbles. (This is overkill, but it was readily identifiable without a thermometer.) I have more results conducted at 7300' elevation and include the SuperCat, but YMMV anyway so it's best to just do your own tests.

description                 alcohol     rolling boil    flame out

Can Stove #4  Fosters 3"
    5" wire stand               60ml         9:00           15:00

Can Stove #4  Fosters 2" revision 1
    5" wire stand               60ml         7:30            9:30
    4" wire stand               60ml         7:30           10:00

Can Stove #4  Fosters 2" revision 2
                                60ml         7:00            9:00

Can Stove #2  Pepsi/Guiness
                                60ml         9:00           10:00

Can Stove #5  Pepsi G spec/Pepsi
                                45ml         7:30 almost     9:30
                                60ml         9:30           11:30

Cobra stove #1  Pepsi
    ss pot 4" stand             60ml         6:00            8:00

can stove #9    Guiness/Pepsi no-tape burnished
    Al pot 3" stand             45ml         9:00           10:30

Nathaniel Hein

@nandj

Locale: Mid South

Thank Doug and Dan for the excellent illustrations and descriptions, very helpful information.
    I am curious how many other couple's setups use alcohol stoves and what their typical boiling requirements are.

Cheers!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Nat

> Any model suggestions in the hypothetical case (convince the wife
    Yes, definitely! I will assume you want light weight, good control and low carbon monoxide (CO) emissions – and not too expensive as well. Recommendations:
    Snow Peak GS100
    Snow peak GST100
    Vargo Jet-Ti

There are many other small upright canister stoves on the market, but they all have deficiencies compared to these three. The Coleman F1 Ultralight and the Primus Micron Ti 2.5 aren't bad, but emit more CO. The MSR Pocket Rocket has very weak pot supports, while the rest of the ones I have tested emit a lot more CO. Others are heavier.

There will be an article published fairly soon here on the CO emissions of canister stoves, so this is preview data. It may be that your wife will be so pleased with the results of using a canister stove that she will forgive you completely!

Nathaniel Hein

@nandj

Roger,
    Thanks for the recommendations, I appreciate the info on the CO emissions especially. Does alcohol have CO emissions too, or is it unique to canisters and white gas?

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Locale: Southeastern USA

Nathaniel, I've tried several of Tinny's stoves and like the Atomic best. It requires a separate pot support ( 1.0 oz for the one Tinny supplies), but the flame is focused on the bottom of the pot. More efficient, and I can pick up my pot barehanded since less heat is going up the sides. It will hold a relatively large fill of 3 oz and runs with a steady efficient, not too big flame. I would think it would cook for two.
    I made the switch to alcohol last year. I've used other stoves that were simpler to fill and light, were lighter, and didn't need a pot support, but the Atomic is the one I take with me. Good luck!

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Since we are sharing photos of stove setups here are some photos of mine. The cup is an aluminum 2-cup flour scoop I bought at a flea market. The stove is made from two Red Bull cans and a screw (it's a pressurized side-burner design). I made probably hundred stove designs before I settled on this simple one. The priming disk, lid, and windscreen are from aluminum foil. I'll confess I made a new set of foil parts for the photo. They were pretty grungy from my last trip.

Total weight = 1.55 oz.

I use a Platy Lil Nipper with a BPL red nozzle fuel cap for the fuel bottle.

Cook Set Unpacked

Cook Set Assembled

Nathaniel Hein

@nandj

Coin,

Thanks for the info, I too have been looking at the atomic stove from Tinny and it looks really nice, and of course well made. I went ahead and ordered a Caldera cone system to try instead though as it seemed to be well recommended. I don't understand why there haven't been more reviews of Tinny's stoves on BPL, it looks like he has many excellent ones to choose from. I will post a review once I have enough time with the cone system.

Most people make there own I guess. James has an interesting setup.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Tinny makes really great stoves. I have a few I purchased just to get ideas and they are VERY well made. The one thing about them that is special (to me) is the way they are crimped/rolled to seal the cans together. Really well done. I mean you can get ALMOST as good a product making them at home but at the price he is selling them at the quality is for sure there. Also, some of his designs are really innovative. I have played with the NION and it is an impressive stove. The NION 2 is even more promising but I have not tried it.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools