Topic

Highway 108

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Highway 108

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

Howdy,

Since 108 (Sonora pass) just opened up, I was wondering if anyone has made it up there to check the level of the snow. Thinking of heading in the Emigrant or Carson Iceburg wilderness. Check out Crabtree or something new.

Thanks.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Photos here (not mine, just found them): http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/263172-TR-Sonora-Pass-Solo-Dusk-Patrol-4-25-13

Spoke to the ranger at Stanislaus NF Summit Ranger district who does snow surveys. Pretty much everything up to about 8000 feet is melted out except shady spots on the north side. Crabtree road not open yet; road to Aspen Meadows Pack Station may be open this weekend but he wasn't sure. If you go in From Kennedy Meadows you'll probably have bare trail to about the far end of Relief Reservoir, then patches up to around Lunch Meadow or so, probably solid snow the last mile or two to Brown Bear pass. That's an educated guess based on tracking the snow sensors in comparison to 2007, when I was up there in a very similar snow year. Have been planning a trip in there starting the 3rd, but I am starting to doubt there will be enough snow to make it worthwhile (supposed to be a ski trip).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools