Topic

Favorite wide pot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite wide pot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

What wide pots do you use? I've always tried to get small stoves to fit narrow pots, but it makes much more sense to have a wider pot. What's your favorite?

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Evernew:

600ml, 900ml, and 1300ml wide pots. I have them all 3.

They fit like a glove inside each other, so storing is easy and convenient.
    Very high workmanship.
    High quality titanium
    I chose the version without the nonstick to keep it simple and durable.

600ml I use for solo
    900ml for big meals solo or duo use
    1300ml for big meals duo or for 3 person groups

And i bring a combination for fancy cooking.

Use them with esbit and gas.
    The sidewinders in titanium from Trail Designs, makes a great windscreen and potholder combination.

Very expensive, but my future kids can inherit them ;-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 on the Evernew. Currently I have the 600. Have a stainless set from the 80's as well. Good quality. Last forever.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Titan Kettle. Don't know if it is considered wide, but it is my widest solo pot.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

kmart grease pot

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

MSR Titan kettle for my alcohol cone clone, and for my 2 person canister boils. SP 600 for my single guy canister boils. Firelite 550 for my solo Esbit setup. Titanium screens included with each setup.

Don Morris

@hikermor

Mini-Trangia (Trangia 28). Great for solo trips – cheap and light.

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

Me, I prefer a simple two quart aluminum cooking pail like this one –

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82008

7.38 ounces, eleven bucks from Campmor. Light enough for solo use and holds plenty for cooking for a group or a towel bath or for carrying water back to camp.

If my memory serves, that's about the same weight as an unmodified Walmart grease pot, which makes a fine tea pot but is otherwise not so good for cooking in.

I simply insist on a pot with a bail so I can hang it over a fire if need be, and the wider pot certainly does heat much better than a tall narrow one.

A really great deal on a cook kit and one I’ve been using for twenty years now is the U.S army surplus “mountain” cook kit.

It has a steel fry pan / lid, and two lightweight aluminum nesting pots with bails.
    It’s an excellent set, and you can find ‘em here for under twenty bucks –

http://store.colemans.com/cart/mountain-cook-kit-us-gi-p-1340.html

This set has been around since at least the Korean war, and I highly recommend it.
    Car camping or canoeing or maybe cycle touring I’ll take the whole kit and get up to some fancy cooking.

Backpacking I’ll take the one biggest outer pot and a lid from an old cooking pail that died years ago.

I have two plastic bowls and old palco plastic cups that fit inside. This weighs 13.2 ounces all together, and has been my standard two person kit for about twenty years now. I forget if that weight also includes our Lexan spoons or not, which completes our cook kit. I’ll have to check my notebook at home.

Allot of UL-ers may consider this “too heavy”, but Ray Jardine and his wife use a similar sized pot for two, although my wife and I still haven’t given up on bowls and cups! I find this size pot essential for the way I cook. For example –

Frying up sausages ‘n stuff in the pan over an Optimus 8R, with a big potful ‘o rice on the side.

Mountain cook kit and optimus 8R

Cooking dinner for three over a tiny fire. The pot is simply balanced upon an empty tin can, the contents of which were dumped into the pot to contribute to dinner –

tiny fire

Warming water for a nice hot towel bath. It was a rainy and cold evening but with a roaring fire in an old established ring, why not clean up before going to bed?

bath time

I almost always use a stove, usually an MSR Whisperlight, but for some reasons I don’t have any photos of that, to ordinary I guess.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Montbell has a series of wide short pots.
    Many stoves work more efficiently with wide short pots

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I'd second the Evernew pots, I have all three (600, 900, and 1300). Love them. I recently got the 1600ml from LiteTrail.com and am loving that for winter solo and summer duo. I think it's worth checking out.
    -James

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Like others I use (and love) the wide Evernew Ultralight Ti pots. I have both the 600ml and the 900ml. The 900ml is my regular pot and the 600ml is currently a back-up which might become my regular pot once I figure out how to get stove, fuel bottle and windscreen all tucked away inside it.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

The snow peak trek titanium bowl holds 20 oz (591 ml), weighs 1.6 oz (45 grams) and is 5.5" wide 3" high. It's hard to use it completely filled, but works for 16 or 18 oz.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"The snow peak trek titanium bowl holds 20 oz (591 ml), weighs 1.6 oz (45 grams)"

I've been using one of those for a couple of years. When I got it, I was shocked to find that it weighed 1.8 ounces. I use it with a wire bail instead of a pot gripper.

–B.G.–

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I like this bowl too. Its light, simple, shaped well, easy to clean.

Jo-Anne Clancy

@jkclancy

Locale: SE Australia

+1 on the Snow Peak bowl for solo trips. I can get a hot drink and rehydrate a meal with one boil.

On hikes with my hubby or for winter snow melting I use the Trangia 25 HA saucepan – 112gm (4oz) for 1.5L capacity.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

I have used these for several years.

good for cooking as reasonably non stick. Cheap too.

Works well with wider flame pattern Stoves.
    Sits stable on an Esbit wing stove and homemade Bushbuddy type woodburner

.Also, Nests very snugly inside an Evernew 900 too- The AGG lid fits both pans. Useful set for proper cooking (for 1 or 2)

Also Trangia Pans are Good. Homemade Cones (from Kevin Beedens script on Zen Stoves site) fit (sidewinder style inside )

All these pans need a gripper. ( I once drilled holes all through a £2 one to save 1/2oz!)

If just boiling water, though I tend to use an MSR Titan Kettle. (with cone and Starlyte)

I have small Evernew wide pans but for some reason don't 'feel' comfortable with them- the 'sticking out' handle with a cone makes me edgy!( I often cook in tent doorway in bad weather and am clumsy…)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Another +1 for Evernew wide pots. 600, 900, 1300ml are all excellent.

Years ago I tested a number of <1L pots looking at fuel efficiency. I don't remember everything I tested but it included the AGG 3cup pot, Walmart grease pot, MSR blacklite and I think one of their Ti pots, Primus Tea Kettle, some Ti Mug/Cups, and the Evernew .9L wide pot. The Evernew was 20% more fuel efficient than the second closest pot.

I have been the REI branded version of the Evernew wide 1.3L on group trips for the last 13 years with no plans to make any change. I used the .9L pot for around 10 years until I switch to the MLD pot/mug + ULC Caldera Cone. The MLD pot/mug + ULC is not as fuel efficient as the Evernew .9L + Caldera Cone, but it's the perfect size/shape for me to pack/use, and since I switch to esbits the fractional improvement doesn't matter.

–Mark

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

1L UL hard anodized pot from the Trangia 25-series. Good price (though sometimes tough to find) but no lid (made one from a cheap pie tin.)

2L and 0.75L hard anodized set with lids from Four Dog Stove. Great price for a 5-piece set. When I'm gram-weenie'ing, I take a DIY pie tin lid instead.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

+1 Titan Kettle
    +1 AGG Anodized pot (this is my loaners; I have 3)
    +1 for Evernew 1.3L (when I’m boiling for 2-4 people)

-Barry

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I like my REI 1.3 liter ti pot quite well. I think it is a rebadged Evernew.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Yet another +1 on the Evernew wide pots. I have the 1.3L UL Ti. Excellent.

I use it for baking

On wood fires

And of course with alcohol stoves

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Another vote for the Evernew 1.3L. My go to pot when I actually want to cook.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools