Topic

Shasta Circumnavigation… Snowpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shasta Circumnavigation… Snowpack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hey all.

I have a window the 2nd week of July to get away for a week. I've been wanting to do the circumnavigation of Shasta. My plan is to follow the rough "route" (described in various guide books) which is for the most part a tree line navigation that has us mostly hiking between 7000-8000 ft and occasionally venturing well above that. For example, one of the recommended camp locations is in the basin below Bolam glacier @ ~9600 ft.

I expected to have some snow and glacier crossings, but I didn't intend to make this trip quite as early in the year. I'm wondering how much snow to expect below 8000 ft?

I was hoping to make the trip without having to rely on crampons and ice axe, and instead just use microspikes when needed.

Any feedback or advice is welcomed – and if anyone here has done this I would love to hear about your experience.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some very strong friends of mine started to do this one year. They got halfway around and didn't like it at all, so they bailed.

For one thing, if you are at tree line, there won't be any glaciers. Trees do not grow on glaciers.

You will find big differences between the sunny south side and the shady north side. You might want simply boots for the south side, and you might want skis for the north side.

–B.G.–

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I've never heard of anyone requiring ski's to do it… then again I've only read a handful or reports.

Although it is commonly called "the treeline circumnavigation", depending on the route one takes there will be travel across the foot of some of the glaciers (as in the example I gave in my post above).

Again, my main question is, what to expect in terms of snowpack below 8000 ft early July. If anyone heads up that way and get's a look at it, give me a shout.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

This year, there will be almost zero snow at 8000 feet on the south side. For the north side, it is hard to tell.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools