Topic

Carol’s Lizard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Carol’s Lizard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

[if i happen to be incorrect in my identification, PLEASE correct me. i don’t mind being wrong once, but don’t like being wrong more than once & don’t want to make the same mis-identification a second time – i simply hate giving others misinformation.]

Had been meaning to respond sooner, but my memory is not too good for these kinds of things (quite absent-minded am i).

Perhaps all of you out West already know what kind of lizard was in Carol’s photo in her Canyon Trip report article in a recent BPL OnLine Mag issue?

However, just in case: 1) it was NOT a somewhat (from her perspective at least) rhetorical question on her part, i.e. that she already knew the ans. & was quizzing readers about a well known western lizard, & 2) no one else has responded in case she didn’t really know the ans.

My best guess, …it’s been a long time since Herpetology class – my Prof., Dr. A, happened to specialize in Iguanas & Western American Lizards, (since size wasn’t mentioned – was it 5″-6″ long head+body & a 8″-12″ long tail??? – typ. adult size) is…

…that it is a “Leopard Lizard” due to the spotted pigmentation on the skin & the geographical area in which it was located, plus the nearby vegetation (though this feature is helpful it is by no means definitive). They don’t make good pets & often try to bite when captured or when attempting to handle.

Would you please pass this info along to her.

Many thanks,
    pj

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Hi Paul,
    Thanks!
    Dave Johnston beat you to the punch. I’ve credited both of you with identifying the lizard in a change I added to the online article. I’ll have a new unknown creature in an upcoming article.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools