Topic

recommended Trailstar poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) recommended Trailstar poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

I've got awesome DIY fixed length poles and they didn't do so well with the first setup. Lots of flex in the pole and because the pole doesn't seat completely into the GG grips and tips, those parts began to bend under stress. They're great for fast and light stability, but not going to last long with the forces required by the shelter (especially in wind).

Does anyone have suggestions on which trekking poles I should consider using with my new Trailstar? I think I need a usable range of at least 100cm – 130cm for the common pitch heights. 2-section or 3-section? My current pair is about 120cm and just over 7oz total, so anything I switch to will be a bit of a weight shock. Budget is around $150 or less.

The MSR UL-2 and UL-3 poles look interesting, but after that I find myself in choice overload.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Gossamer Gear LT4s are very light and pretty stiff, but I haven't used them for a tarp yet. A lot of other seem to use them and like them though.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I will confirm that LT4s work just fine to support a trailstar.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Colin Ibbotson did a write-up here: http://tramplite.com/2012/07/lightweight-shelter-supports.html For other shelters he uses fixed length BD Z-Poles, but for the TS he uses LT4s, and sometimes doubles them up.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Yet another vote for the GG KLT4s – they work great!

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

They look good, but seem to be forever out of stock? I see lots of requests on the BST forum.

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

I've recently inquired with GG about the availability of their poles and they have informed me they are working on the locking mechanism, presumably to make it stronger/better… No clear indication of when they will be available again, but it sounded like they're on the home stretch…

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I use GG poles with my Trailstar. I think any pole will work really, but the TS is not terribly high so my regular length LT4S poles hold pretty stiffly.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

THey are out of stock for so long! I start thinking about alternatives… Can you guys suggest on some really lightweight but strong enough hiking poles? I'm not a tall guy 5'5" and 143 lbs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools